PDA

View Full Version : Anchorseal

Henry Cavanaugh
06-04-2007, 7:49 PM
When coating ends with Anchorseal can the logs stay outside for the summer without losing the seal. In the past I ve allways stored under cover

Jim Becker
06-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Yes. Once the water evaporates, you're left with just the wax on the log.

Mark Pruitt
06-05-2007, 11:33 AM
As proof of what Jim said, this past Saturday I anchorsealed a pile of logs after sawing them into blanks, and left them outside. The next day it rained all day long. The sealant is still intact, and the logs are sitting out in the open. (I'll admit it did kinda screw up my turning agenda for Sunday afternoon...:rolleyes: )

Dennis Peacock
06-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Agree.!!! Also, if you have a lot of bowl blanks that need to be sealed? or even logs to be sealed? Put your anchorseal in a pump type garden sprayer and seal away. Works great, it's fast, and is easy on the back. ;)

Mike Vickery
06-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Put your anchorseal in a pump type garden sprayer and seal away. Works great, it's fast, and is easy on the back. ;)

How do you clean the sprayer to keep it from clogging up?

Matt Haus
06-05-2007, 2:39 PM
Question,

If you have some wood that has allready started to spalt. Do you think that the spalting will keep occuring while the wood is anchorsealed? I have a few logs that I also can see blackening under the anchorseal and hope that it will continue to travel into the wood.

I anchorsealed two logs. One pecan and the other Maple and put them in trash bags for 3 weeks. When I pulled them out, they were wet and smelly and they seem to have blackened on the ends. I have put them in a shady area to see how they do.

Anyone cute an anchorsealed log after a period of time to see that the wood had spalted?

Mark Pruitt
06-05-2007, 2:46 PM
Question,

If you have some wood that has allready started to spalt. Do you think that the spalting will keep occuring while the wood is anchorsealed? I have a few logs that I also can see blackening under the anchorseal and hope that it will continue to travel into the wood.

I anchorsealed two logs. One pecan and the other Maple and put them in trash bags for 3 weeks. When I pulled them out, they were wet and smelly and they seem to have blackened on the ends. I have put them in a shady area to see how they do.

Anyone cute an anchorsealed log after a period of time to see that the wood had spalted?
Can't answer from experience (yet), but I recall another Creeker saying to me that he had some logs to spalt while sitting in his shop with anchorseal on them. It was someone that I have complete confidence that he knows what he's talking about; I take what he said as truth.

Jim Ketron
06-05-2007, 3:07 PM
Yes they can spalt with Anchorseal on!
Here is an example of a large Ambrosia Maple blank that I used for a platter after about a year in my shop covered with Anchorseal you can see how it spalted.
I think a lot has to do with when the tree was felled and the moisture content and a few other variables including the species of wood as to weather or not it will spalt.