PDA

View Full Version : Firepit Table

Marc Prudhomme
06-04-2007, 7:46 PM
Does anyone here have any Ideas on how to build a wooden table(pressure treated pine)with a firepit insert.How can I protect the wood from becoming to hot.Brick top maybe?Any ideas or plans would help.I just need something to get me in the right direction.
Marc

Chris Fetting
06-04-2007, 7:48 PM
No plan, but you should use IPE instead of treated wood. It will not burn and will survive forever outside.

mike roe
06-05-2007, 6:51 AM
I have a firepit table - not wood though - but the top is large ceramic tiles cut into an arc shape. Youd have to mount them somehow into a wood frame and then find a way to let the actual pit hang on a lip of something that wont burn. good luck!

Raf Verbruggen
06-05-2007, 8:19 AM
Au Bain Marie ??

Unique and fire-proof !!

Marc Prudhomme
06-05-2007, 6:20 PM
Au Bain Marie ??

Unique and fire-proof !!
????????????

John Bush
06-05-2007, 7:04 PM
I made a patio table, without the firepit insert, using exterior ply covered with cement board and colored art glass set in thin-set. The artist friend laid out a very nice floral pattern with the glass, then grouted with a white grout, I edge trimmed the table, we painted it white(to match a bench I made) and we sold the set at a benefit auction for $750. I'm sure you could design it so the cememt board would protect from heat as well as from the weather. The table really did look great, and you can customize the motif as you wish.

Another thought would be to build the wood base, add the cement board, add trim that stands proud ~1", then pour on mortar mix, or cement without aggregate, and embed any goodies that relate to the theme of your lifestyle: e.g.; fishing,boating, tennis, woodworking, or have segments of the table characterize each member of the family. This could be a great family project to have each bring their own "stuff" to stick in the cement. Make sure you keep it all relatively flat so you won't spill your beer. Good luck, and post pics when you finish. John.

Craig D Peltier
06-05-2007, 7:43 PM
Do tell if you make one. I have thought about it but I didnt think wood would work so I let it go.