PDA

View Full Version : Question about Craftsman 15" lathe

Ernie Nyvall
06-04-2007, 7:12 PM
I need a couple of measurements and I couldn't find them in the specs. I'm making a tool rest for a hollowing system and am at the point of building the part that slides between the ways and secures it . So, I need the distance between the ways, and then the width just underneath the ways where the clamping plate will slide. I hope this is clear.

I'd sure appreciate any help.

joe greiner
06-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Regardless of what the specifications or catalog data may say, I've found it advisable to measure the mating parts directly for best results. Case in point, although not for a lathe: 5/8" router bushing, actually measures 0.618", which is what I use for CAD-generated templates. A tiny distinction in this case, but sometimes larger and more widespread than we'd like.

Joe

Bob Hallowell
06-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Ernie, I have the palmgren. I am out working right now but when I get home I will measure it for you

Bob

Bob Hallowell
06-05-2007, 5:03 AM
Ernie,
the slot in the ways is 1 9/16, they are 15/32 thick. and as far as I can tell underneath is 2 7/8. I use a 2 3/4 peice of wood underneath for my shopmade steady rest.

Bob

Ernie Nyvall
06-05-2007, 7:20 PM
Gotcha Joe, but I'm about 1200 miles from the lathe and my project is kind of a surprise for someone.

Bob, thank you very much... Just what I needed plus some with the thickness of the ways. I forgot to ask that, but needed it.;)

Thanks a bunch.