PDA

View Full Version : What do you wear and where do you get it?

Jason Christenson
06-04-2007, 4:30 PM
I'm looking for something to wear while I'm turning and while I'm chainsawing blanks to keep the shavings off. I like the smock's from Craft Supply but I'm looking for a more economical route for the short term. I'm curios what everybody else does. I've considered painter's coveralls and maybe a used lab coat. Any other suggestions?

Jason

Jim Stoppleworth
06-04-2007, 4:36 PM
For turning I wear a turners smock from AAW and a pair of nylon pants(like warmups.)
For chainsawing I wear denim pants and shirt and steel toed boots.
Jim

Jude Kingery
06-04-2007, 4:43 PM
Hey Jason,

Like Jim, if I use the chain saw, I have on Levis, long sleeve shirt, and work boots. On the turning question, I won't be of any help I don't think, I wear boots, jeans, and then a cut off t-shirt (no sleeves, no neck, no bottom) so shavings just fall through or brush off easily instead of inside overalls or anyplace to itch and have to stop and clear. This way, just shake it off or out and continue works for me. Jude

Patrick Taylor
06-04-2007, 10:09 PM
I use coveralls in the winter and the AAW smock when it's not freezing in the shop.

Brad Schmid
06-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Turning: Turning smock/apron and short sleave shirt. When it's cold, I'll wear a snug fitting cycling shirt under the smock/apron. nothing with loose sleaves.

Sawing: Kevlar chaps always. In addition, leather steel toes and leather gloves, forestry helmet with built in face shield and ear protection.

Be safe ;)

edit: oh yeah, safety sunglasses under the helmet....

Nancy Laird
06-04-2007, 11:04 PM
I don't use a chain saw (don't own one -- yet), but for turning I wear a long-sleeved Robert Sorby turning smock, jeans, and closed-toe shoes. Oh, Yeah, a face shield too.

Nancy

Bob Hallowell
06-04-2007, 11:49 PM
to turn in the summer I wear shorts, t-shirt and sandels and in the winter I wear fleece pants and top with a wind breaker. I work in a garage.

Bob

Ken Mutch
06-05-2007, 3:26 AM
So we are supposed to wear something:eek:
Dang, must be those legislators again---some sort of health or safety code:D :D
Keep cool,
Ken

Brodie Brickey
06-05-2007, 7:50 AM
Mostly I'm in a short sleeved t-shirt, helmet/faceshield & jeans when I turn. In the winter I move to a light windbreaker.

When using the chainsaw, its always chainsaw chaps, helmet/faceshield/earmuffs, jeans & boots.

I used to where long sleeves, but had a close call where the sleeve was baggy and almost got caught in the turning I was parting off. No more since then.

Andy Hoyt
06-05-2007, 9:04 AM
I don't use a chain saw (don't own one -- yet), but for turning I wear a long-sleeved Robert Sorby turning smock, jeans, and closed-toe shoes. Oh, Yeah, a face shield too.

Nancy Don't forget that massive ear ring Nancy.:D

Nancy Laird
06-05-2007, 9:18 AM
Don't forget that massive ear ring Nancy.:D

That's my bluetooth, Andy. Just like a woman, can't be far from a phone!!:rolleyes:

Mark Pruitt
06-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Last November the LOML gave me a smock from Packard for our anniversary. Now that the weather is warm, I need to buy their apron b/c the smock is way too warm. Otherwise it's a great thing to have, especially when running a pneumatic sander. (I always manage to get an oil stain on whatever I'm wearing.)

Dennis Peacock
06-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Year 'round? Bib Overalls. What else is there!! :p

My turning smock has been in use for about 4 years now. It's a left over tent rain cover. The LOML had me stand while she fitted it. She cut it out, made the tie straps, put velcro in the neck liner and I have a full body length turnig smock that keeps all the wood right out of my shoes. 99.999% of the time, I'm also wearing a T-shirt.

The rain cover keep me dry when turning wet wood and clean when turning dry wood. The LOML likes it pretty well because I'm not bringing wood in the house as much as I used to. :rolleyes: :D

Kurt Whitley
06-05-2007, 1:48 PM
If you are trying to beat the heat, Highland Hardware has the coolest smock I've seen:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6537

The only complaint I have is I wish they made one with long sleeves for turning the oily toxic woods like Cocobolo (thankfully no contact dermatitis yet).

Bill Wyko
06-05-2007, 2:43 PM
I got a leather apron with a velcro collar to keep the shavings out of the shirt. The nice thing about it is it has pockets inside so they stay clean. I got it at Wood Crafters. I also use the Uvex face shield and a respirator.

Jim Ketron
06-05-2007, 3:13 PM
I use a heavy denim smock a good friend had his wife make for me from an insulated shirt with velcro down the front that I use in the winter months.
In the warmer months I use the AAW smock that works great and don't burn me up!

Don Orr
06-06-2007, 11:10 AM
I mostly use a cheap nylon windbreaker from Sal's Department Store (AKA Salvation Army) that zips all the way up my neck to keep chips out. I had my wife tighten up the left sleeve to reduce the chance of it getting caught. Works great-chips just slide right off. In summer I use a vest with the same high neck. I use the Craft Supply bubble face shield now but looked at the Uvex shield and may upgrade. Someone told me they use the stuff divers use for anti-fogging their masks to keep the shield from fogging up.

Kurt Whitley
06-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Someone told me they use the stuff divers use for anti-fogging their masks to keep the shield from fogging up.

IME, that would be spit!!!:D

Cheers,
Kurt

Jim Becker
06-06-2007, 5:54 PM
I prefer the smocks from Packard Woodworks 'cause of the nice comfy soft knit collar that totally keeps anything out of the neck line. They are available in "full" and "sleeveless" versions for different seasons. (I also wear mine when routing dovetails...)

Gary Breckenridge
06-07-2007, 12:43 AM
:D I like to wear any one of my neckties or bolo ties while I am turning. And I like to wear lightweight canvas sneakers while chainsawing. :D

Jim Becker
06-07-2007, 9:40 AM
:D I like to wear any one of my neckties or bolo ties while I am turning. And I like to wear lightweight canvas sneakers while chainsawing. :D

Newbies...just in case...please note that Gary is truly kidding on this!!!