PDA

View Full Version : LDD bowl theory testing

Steve Inniss
01-08-2004, 3:40 PM
I never tried the liguid dish detergent method for bowl turnings - until now. The idea being no/little checking, without waiting 6 months to finish turn. Thanks to Julie for the web url.
Below are two experimental bowls.
The first is Ash with, as you can see, the bark edge intact. It's only 6" wide with a 3/8" wall. Often, I have found small cracks on the endgrain - not so far. It's been less than a day - cut, rough turned to @ 3/4", soaked 4 hours, finish turned, sanded to 400, BLO/turps/poly. Will let you know if it cracks or moves.

The second is red oak, 14" dia. Cut to 1/2 log blank two days ago, turned to @1", soaked overnight, finish turned, soaked 4 hours, sanded to 220, wiped with mineral oil(I want to use this one for dough rising). NO cracks except for one natural inclusion that was there when I started. The oak blank is a real beast when rough turning - shakes the whole building.

These ones will really get the test from the tree to a bowl in a heated home within hours/days.

Brad Hammond
01-08-2004, 4:51 PM
something really catches the eye with the oak bowl!!!
great design.,
did you let the bowls dry between the overnight soaking and finish turning?

thanx
brad

John Wadsworth
01-08-2004, 5:26 PM
Steve,

I sure hope the LDD treatment holds up-those are beautiful bowls!

John

Steve Inniss
01-09-2004, 9:09 AM
something really catches the eye with the oak bowl!!!
great design.,
did you let the bowls dry between the overnight soaking and finish turning?

thanx
brad
Thanks Brad, I like it too. Maybe there's something in us that recognize and appreciate a useful shape/tool. As I said, it is finished with mineral oil and will be used for bread.

I didn't let them dry at all really, just a wipe off and remounted.

-Steve

Steve Inniss
01-09-2004, 9:15 AM
Steve,

I sure hope the LDD treatment holds up-those are beautiful bowls!

John

Thanks John. I hope so too.
Being someone who has always had to work on deferring gratification when necessary -ie. being ok with not finishing a piece of furniture same day, I sure love it when I can.
So, not having to wait 6 months or more for RT bowls to dry will be amazing. -Steve