PDA

View Full Version : Finish for bathroom vanities

Jim Sheen
06-04-2007, 3:56 PM
I am building a bathroom vanity, most likely in oak with a white pickled stain. Any thoughts on a really durable clear top coat that is water resistant and resistant to scratches? I've used water-based poly on lots of things and that's OK (maybe the best choice?). I've also used NC lacquer a lot but I'd be concerned about solvents destroying the finish. I need something perfectly clear, so oil-based poly or varnish are probably out.

Any help would be appreciated! :confused:

Jim Becker
06-04-2007, 4:36 PM
I'm perfectly happy using Target Coatings USL for kitchen and bath cabinetry, although I'm trying their new hybrid WB alkyd product for some bath cabinets in progress. (Cherry, so I actually want the coloration from the hybrid) USL is clear and like NC lacquer, "burns in" between coats.

Jim Sheen
06-04-2007, 4:46 PM
Thanks, Jim. I haven't heard about this, so I'll check it out. Would be nice to use WB if it works.

Joe Chritz
06-04-2007, 6:10 PM
It works and it works very well. I just order my 4th or 5th 5 gallon bucket of USL satin.

If using oil base stain it is suggested to shoot a barrier coat of dewaxed shellac over the stain then USL. I find that I much prefer the look the shellac gives over going right to USL.

I use Sealcoat but with flakes you could get fancier with the tones of the shellac.

If I don't spray I use waterlox original.

Joe

Jim Sheen
06-04-2007, 6:24 PM
Great, I'll definitely try it. What kind of pickling should I use so I don't have compatibility problems?

Joe Chritz
06-04-2007, 8:23 PM
Generally as long as you use a sealcoat it doesn't matter. I haven't used any pickling stain but have used several different oil based stains.

Joe