PDA

View Full Version : Hard to get some blanks onto the mandrel

Jerry Ingraham
06-04-2007, 1:29 PM
Some of my blanks are extremely difficult to get onto the mandrel even after running them several times over the barrel trimmer/reamer. Does the glue sometimes distort the tube? When I look inside, I can't really see anything that would cause it to hang up but yet it is difficult to slide on. The other half may slide on just fine. Any thoughts?
Jerry

Ellen Benkin
06-04-2007, 1:41 PM
My problem is usually glue blobs, but you have used the barrel trimmer and I don't have any other suggestions.

Bob Hallowell
06-04-2007, 3:03 PM
Sometimes the barrel trimmer pushes down on the brass some and compacts it (makes it a little thicker). I always take a counter sink drill bit and ream it with my hand. Plus it makes putting the pens together easire.

Bob

Mike Vickery
06-04-2007, 3:27 PM
If the barrel trimmer hits the brass it will create a burr. I usually just use a razor knife and run it around the inside of the tube to cut the burr off.

Keith Burns
06-04-2007, 4:05 PM
I have used a small round file thru the tube to smooth it out.

Jerry Ingraham
06-04-2007, 7:24 PM
I'll bet that the barrel trimmer is causing my problem. I have purposefully been cutting down til I contact the brass with my trimmer. I'm gonna make a few pens tonite and I'll try to avoid contact with the brass and see if I have any trouble. Thanks for the tips everyone.
Jerry