PDA

View Full Version : Handle Finish

Jason Christenson
06-04-2007, 1:10 PM
I just stopped my my local hardwood dealer, which is going out of business. They had a little box of various lathe tools marked at $2.00 apiece. I picked up four very old looking Craftsman HSS scrapers. Eventually I will try my hand at re-handling them but in the mean time I'd like to use them more or less as they are. They need to be sanded and refinished and I was wondering what kind of finish is appropriate. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Patrick Taylor
06-04-2007, 1:24 PM
Never done it myself, but a guy told me once that he just sands handles and doesn't put a finish on them. He said that he wants to avoid any kind of slippery surface, like wax. I don't see why a polymerizing oil would be be bad, though (like watco danish oil).

Kim Ford
06-04-2007, 2:04 PM
I am sure some will disagree and thats okay, but the only finish I put on my turned objects is olive oil. I started this in the 80's when I wanted to finish a dining room table with an oil finish that would really bring out the grain and an old woodworking friend suggested olive oil. I use virgin olive oil and let in soak in well between coats.

Since them I have finished most of my bowls with this finish, as well as furniture and have never had a problem. (most of the furniture I coated several times and then put a hard finish over the top). I also use it for my tool handles and most anything else that I want a natural finish on. Most of the bowls I turn are utilitarian and do get used. For the ones we have in our home this means they also get washed, I regularly put a new coat on them every couple of months and they have lasted for years with no ill effects.

Someone, in an earlier post mentioned that olive oil can go racid. I have never had that problem, but then we don't live in a hot, high humidity climate. I like the way it brings out the grain on natrual woods and the realative ease of applying it. In our house there is always a open bottle in the kitchen.

Patrick Taylor
06-04-2007, 3:01 PM
I am sure some will disagree and thats okay, but the only finish I put on my turned objects is olive oil....

Does olive oil dry like walnut oil, or stay "wet" like mineral oil? My family has nut allergies, so I won't ever use walnut oil and I'm intrigued by other oils that people have had success with.

Frank Kobilsek
06-04-2007, 3:07 PM
Jason

I use Boiled Linseed Oil on garden tools and lathe tools. I used to use it on bowls, platters etc but too many other good choices now.

Frank

Rick Anderson
06-04-2007, 4:12 PM
I use Bulls Eye shellac applied with a rag while the handle is spinning and burnish it until dry. It does a great job of sealing the wood and doesn't feel slippery or sticky. Simple, easy and natural!
Rick

Jerry Strojny
06-04-2007, 4:23 PM
Personnally, I would let the natural oils from my hands put the finish on any handtools I make. It's your unique finish.

Jerry

Kim Ford
06-04-2007, 5:15 PM
Does olive oil dry like walnut oil, or stay "wet" like mineral oil? My family has nut allergies, so I won't ever use walnut oil and I'm intrigued by other oils that people have had success with.

It dries out pretty nice. I used to soak my bowls in it for a couple of days and then wipe them down and let them dry but I really didn't see any difference from just wiping on a couple of good coats. I would suggest you give it a try on a sample piece of wood and see what you think.