PDA

View Full Version : Fence for a Shaper

Dave Diana
06-04-2007, 11:20 AM
I am looking for an aftermarket or replacement fence for a 3HP Delta shaper. I have checked Ebay and didn’t see anything. I’m just wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction. I called Delta parts and they want $700 for a replacement fence which is more than the shaper will cost so I am not really considering that. I may just end up building my own if I can't find something.

Mike Heidrick
06-04-2007, 11:28 AM
the 43-812 has been $412 recently on amazon. This fence is cast iron and aluminum and comes with the hold downs and the safety shields. Very substantial fence.

John Renzetti
06-04-2007, 12:14 PM
I am looking for an aftermarket or replacement fence for a 3HP Delta shaper. I have checked Ebay and didn’t see anything. I’m just wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction. I called Delta parts and they want $700 for a replacement fence which is more than the shaper will cost so I am not really considering that. I may just end up building my own if I can't find something.

Hi Dave, Felder in Delaware has some discontinued cast iron fence housings with aluminum plates for sale. These were the 180 series which had a max 7" opening, but can accommodate a little over 4" in tooling height. I have one in my shop that I grabbed for a friend of mine. I think the cost is less than $200. phone is 302 322-7732.
take care,
John

Dave Diana
06-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks,
I'll give them a call right now!

Mike Heidrick
06-04-2007, 4:04 PM
Hi Dave, Felder in Delaware has some discontinued cast iron fence housings with aluminum plates for sale. These were the 180 series which had a max 7" opening, but can accommodate a little over 4" in tooling height. I have one in my shop that I grabbed for a friend of mine. I think the cost is less than $200. phone is 302 322-7732.
take care,
John

That is a great price!

Jim Becker
06-04-2007, 4:15 PM
Aigner is also worth looking at..."ching...ching..." but really nice!

John Renzetti
06-04-2007, 5:28 PM
Aigner is also worth looking at..."ching...ching..." but really nice!

Hi Jim, Last I checked the Aigner 500mm/ea fence plates were around $1250. I got lucky and got mine from a guy I know in the UK a few years back when the $US was about .8 to 1 Euro. Here's the Aigner fully opened with a 4ft wingspan. Also next to it is the 180 Felder fence that I'm holding for Tom Hummel. Price tag on it says $100. I didn't think it was that cheap.
take care,
John

Jim Becker
06-04-2007, 5:31 PM
Yes, there does appear to be a bit of a price difference, John! LOL!

Dave Sabo
06-04-2007, 7:12 PM
The current Delta 43-812 is/was $379 at Woodworker's Supply. I concur with the previous poster, it's stout.

Chris Rosenberger
06-04-2007, 9:32 PM
The current Delta 43-812 is/was $379 at Woodworker's Supply. I concur with the previous poster, it's stout.

Dave,
The Woodworkers Supply web site shows the price at $746.99.

Dave Sabo
06-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Chris, don't know what the website shows, but my pro catalog shows it at $379.99 -deluxe heavy duty fence assembly. YMMV

Jim Dailey
06-05-2007, 12:18 AM
Dave,

I'm not saying that the above mentioned fences are bad.... just there is a better way....

But if you don't mind setting the fence with a combination square in a "kind of sorta fashion"... then those are great fences.....

I did just that for decades with the fences that came with my previous shapers, & Unishaper.

Now I use a pair of Incra Ultra Lites (12" of travel), one on each side of the spindle. Repeatable to the 1000ths.

Ever have to go back to make more rails after you had been cutting styles....?

Still using a scrape of rail marked "save" trying to repeat a previous setup......

With the Incra positioners & each with their own fence or even a zero clearance face on the fence & a veneer height gauge to set cutter height, you repeat to the thousands every time.

jim

Dave Diana
06-05-2007, 6:35 AM
Jim,
I have actually considered buying an Incra setup for the shaper but I think right now the price on the Felder fence is to hard to pass up. I will mainly be using it for cutting rails and stiles and panel raising. I’m sure I will get some larger molding profiles in the future but for now I have a very large collection of router bit profiles for the smaller forming tasks. Now I just need to start thinking about a power feeder :D

Mike Heidrick
06-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Jim,
I have actually considered buying an Incra setup for the shaper but I think right now the price on the Felder fence is to hard to pass up. I will mainly be using it for cutting rails and stiles and panel raising. I’m sure I will get some larger molding profiles in the future but for now I have a very large collection of router bit profiles for the smaller forming tasks. Now I just need to start thinking about a power feeder :D

So about feeders.
The Delta 36-855 is currently at $1226 on amazon has been around ~$700 the past couple weeks on and off. This is GREAT price on a 4 wheel commatic rebrand feeder. Other than used models from auctions or whatever this is the best NEW deal I have seen on this feeder by far! Keep an eye on it especially during the weekend and it will most likely be on sale again.

I paid $806 shipped for my 3 wheel 36-851 single phase modle from tools-plus. I am thinking I should have bought three phase though because of the speed flexability with an AC drive. Currently there is a 36-852 3phase model for sale again on amazon for $629 plus $150 shipping. This would be a sweet model - all you do is add a small AC drive from factorymation and then you will have an infinate speed model instead of the standard 4 speeds of which two require a gear change.

Tim Lynch
06-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Mike,

Just a follow up on the big stock feeders...

I have a 3HP Reliant shaper that I've put a 36-812 fence on. It's now a very serviceable machine. I bought the machine used from a cabinet shop and they "threw in" the attached stock feeder, which is a little Delta 36-865 Versa-Feeder (1/8hp).

The feeder is terrific -- as anyone who has any kind of stock feeder knows -- it makes the shaping operation much safer, easier, and produces better results. A lot less scary.

What I can't understand is why would I need a larger feeder? This little feeder has done all kinds of molding operations, panel raising, etc. The variable speed is nice, and most times I run it very slowly anyway (I do a few test cuts to check smoothness, burning, etc.).

The Versa-Feeder is $297 on Amazon, and it would seem to me that any shaper owner should own at least this one, just for the safety aspect, rather than wait until they've saved enough pennies for a $1000 model.

Can you talk about the differences/advantages of a larger feeder? Thanks,

Tim

Mike Heidrick
06-05-2007, 12:39 PM
This was my experience. Please do not be offended as I discuss my experience with the 865 which I did own before the 851. Understand I have a 1 1/4" spindle 5hp feeder. In fact I sometimes wonder if the one I have is big enough for the 5hp shaper I have. It does fine for me though.

To me it has to do with mass of the cutter heads, weight of the feeder, climb cutting, etc. Too prevent kick back when climb cutting you need a nice heavy solid head controlling the stock - both vertically and horizontally.

Mounting was a problem too. The head on my 36-851 is the same size as the ENTIRE 865 head and mouting arms/base. On my 5hp delta jointer there was no way for me to mount the 865 and have the reach I needed to position my feeder head correctly. Also the head was not wide enough to have the wheels stradling each side of the cutter correctly (one on the infeed side of the cutter and two on the outfeed side. It was too small for me and the cutters I have I guess.

I considered using it on my router table but found a guy that did not have one at all so I sold it for a bit less than I paid for it.

Try this without your shaper on and the fence clearing the spindle. Run your 865 feeder and put a piece of stock 2' long through it. When it gets 1/3 way grab the stock or lift up on the stock. I could easily move the 865, the stock slips, virtually no resistance could make the wheels slip. If I Increased the downward pressure to the point that it would not slpi then when I retesed it the stock would not pass under the wheels.

Do you use cutters or router bits in your shaper? Any size to your cutters or are they smaller. I think this makes a big difference.

Dave Diana
06-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Mike,

Just a follow up on the big stock feeders...

I have a 3HP Reliant shaper that I've put a 36-812 fence on. It's now a very serviceable machine. I bought the machine used from a cabinet shop and they "threw in" the attached stock feeder, which is a little Delta 36-865 Versa-Feeder (1/8hp).

The feeder is terrific -- as anyone who has any kind of stock feeder knows -- it makes the shaping operation much safer, easier, and produces better results. A lot less scary.

What I can't understand is why would I need a larger feeder? This little feeder has done all kinds of molding operations, panel raising, etc. The variable speed is nice, and most times I run it very slowly anyway (I do a few test cuts to check smoothness, burning, etc.).

The Versa-Feeder is $297 on Amazon, and it would seem to me that any shaper owner should own at least this one, just for the safety aspect, rather than wait until they've saved enough pennies for a $1000 model.

Can you talk about the differences/advantages of a larger feeder? Thanks,

Tim

I was kind of wondering the same thing, What is the advantage of having the larger feeder and is any advantage you get worth the extra cost?

Mike Heidrick
06-05-2007, 12:56 PM
I was kind of wondering the same thing, What is the advantage of having the larger feeder and is any advantage you get worth the extra cost?

Wish I could show you boys the difference in person. Weight wise the versa feeder shipped out of my shop at 38 lbs. The 36-851 is 160lbs. Difference of your toddler holding the stock to the table and an adult holding the stock to the table.

I will see if I can dig up some pictures.

Tim Lynch
06-05-2007, 1:21 PM
Absolutely no chance of offending me -- I'm here for discussion!

I can definitely see your concern with a larger shaper and cutters. I've run a 5" diameter panel raiser in mine and the 865 did okay with it. I haven't had any wheel slippage problems. Maybe just lucky!

With my new fence, I had to change the mounting location of the feeder, and I am at the limits of the reach of the arm. I've managed to make it work, but certainly bigger would be better.

I haven't done any climb cutting either, but maybe someday.

Your points are well taken and I hope every shaper owner finds a stock feeder that works for them. It's a great accessory!

Mike Heidrick
06-05-2007, 4:08 PM
Tim, you may be a better user of the feeder than I as well. I am still faily new to shaping. 5" is substantial and I would think if you can use it with that then maybe my 865 issues were user related. I know though that the range and height of the new feeder arm were designed for the class jointer you and I both have. When and iff you upgrade or are ever in Bloomington and want to stop by you will see what I mean. A couple shaper boys up by Chicago have steered me this way and they definately have the experience I trust. I cannot believe how smooth a big shaper can be but wow thay are powerful. Spinning up a big shaper cutter is a WW experience like no other!

There are also 1/2hp options out there but at $500 they are very close in price to the 1hp options.

Maggi Steff and Commatics and the various rebrands are the most popular ones I have seen.

Mike Heidrick
06-05-2007, 4:08 PM
Lets move all this power feed discussion to the other thread specific to power feeders - should help in searching latter.

John Renzetti
06-05-2007, 5:07 PM
hi, Here's a link to the factory new webpage that lists a bunch of different feeders.
http://www.factorynew.com/MfgModels.aspx?CatID=FR&MachTypeID=35
take care,
John