PDA

View Full Version : OK, guys, here goes!!

Nancy Laird
06-04-2007, 2:23 AM
OK, this is for Ken, Keith, Travis, Dennis, Chris, Bernie, Neil, and anyone else interested.

This is me, standing at the lathe, roughing out a chunk of maple. It really is spinning. You guys have prodded me long enough--and David convinced me tonight to put my money where my mouth is.;) We'll see how this goes.

Nancy

Christopher K. Hartley
06-04-2007, 8:04 AM
I'm proud of you and looking forward to the final result.:)

Mark Pruitt
06-04-2007, 8:08 AM
Ah, yes......it really pays to give someone such grief.:D

Glad we picked on you long enough Nancy.:D :D

Go ahead, admit it......we know you love it.:D :D :D

Bowl turning, that is.:D :D :D :D

Just don't let Hartley talk you into one of those rust colored things.

Bernie Weishapl
06-04-2007, 8:27 AM
Well I'll be. Can you believe that? She is really doing it.:D:cool:;):rolleyes: Nancy I am proud of you. Can't wait to see it finished.

Mark Cothren
06-04-2007, 8:57 AM
Way to go, Ms. Nancy!!!! Ah, the strength of the vortex...

Steve Schlumpf
06-04-2007, 9:36 AM
Congrats Nancy! If you thought you were hooked before... watch out!! Looking forward to seeing the finished bowl!

Keith Burns
06-04-2007, 9:41 AM
It's about time !:D :D

Nancy Laird
06-04-2007, 9:51 AM
Just don't let Hartley talk you into one of those rust colored things.

Not in a million, Mark. My colors are bright green and yellow (WoodTek).

Nancy

Ken LaSota
06-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Nancy glad to see you make the leap there is no turning back now.
Ken

Dennis Peacock
06-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Well.....I'll be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She does have a lathe and it CAN hold a piece of bowl stock. :p :p

Congrats Nancy!!!!!!!!! You'll fing this part of turning very satisfying and frustrating. :D

Can't wait to see the end results.

Rick Levine
06-04-2007, 11:17 AM
What did Dave have to do to convince you to try bowl turning. I need a good strategy for the LOL? On second thought, I only have one lathe.

Nancy Laird
06-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Rick, it wasn't David. It was all these guys here on this forum. They just won't let me rest. Don't know if you saw my interview, but there are about 6-8 turners here who have been prodding me for a while to get to a bowl, and I made the mistake of committing to a finished bowl by the end of June.:eek: So when we came back from dinner last night, David took me by the hand and dragged me into the shop and, essentially, said "show 'em." So I'm gonna show 'em. I have no clue as to how this will turn out, but I'm giving it my best shot. You know the old story--nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Nancy

Scott Donley
06-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Nancy, you sure thats you in the pic ? Could be a stand in for all I can tell ;) Good luck !

Nancy Laird
06-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Nancy, you sure thats you in the pic ? Could be a stand in for all I can tell ;) Good luck !

Yep, Scott, it was really me. I had curlies and chips all over me by the time I was done. That piece of maple you sent me is still sitting on the lathe stand--it sort of took a back seat when I opened my mouth and stuck my foot it in!! But never fear, it will be used soon.

Nancy

Don Orr
06-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Way to go Nancy, you're in deep now!:D Looking forward to the final product.

Bernie Weishapl
06-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Yep Nancy chances of getting out of making a bowl were "Slim and None" and Slim left town on vacation.:eek: ;) :rolleyes:

Rick Levine
06-04-2007, 3:09 PM
Nancy,

Don't let those guys intimidate you. I know you'll do a great job on the bowl. At least you're ahead of me on the lathe. All I've managed to turn are a couple of dowels for some repair work. Soon though, once the shop is complete, at least the DC.

Mark Pruitt
06-04-2007, 3:39 PM
At least you're ahead of me on the lathe. All I've managed to turn are a couple of dowels for some repair work.
I see another victim.......:cool:

Joyce Baldauf
06-04-2007, 4:03 PM
Way to go, Nancy. I've been turning for a year and a half now, and am just now going to make a serious attempt at a bowl. Good luck.:D

Joyce

Tom Sherman
06-04-2007, 5:29 PM
Way to go Nancy, you'll find bowls addicting too.

Dennis Peacock
06-04-2007, 5:36 PM
Way to go, Nancy. I've been turning for a year and a half now, and am just now going to make a serious attempt at a bowl. Good luck.:D

Joyce

OK Joyce.....you're next in line for a post of a "finished bowl" that you made on your lathe. :D

Jim Becker
06-04-2007, 10:09 PM
"You will be assimilated...." :D :D :D

Joyce Baldauf
06-04-2007, 11:42 PM
OK Joyce.....you're next in line for a post of a "finished bowl" that you made on your lathe. :D

Okay, I guess I asked for that one. I have one roughed out and dried in the microwave. Just waiting to be finished. The wood is from my neighbor's Heartnut tree. Has anybody ever heard of this kind of wood. They told me it is supposed to be a cross between an English walnut and black walnut. It is really stringy when wet and really a soft wood.

Please don't anybody hold your breath waiting for the finished product, the grass needs to be cut first. I know my priorities are screwed up, but what can I do? My dogs (West Highland Terriers) are getting lost in the grass!:eek:

Nancy Laird
06-05-2007, 12:23 AM
OK, here are tonight's pictures:

It's getting there...slowly but surely. Look at all those curlies!! :D

This is fun!:D

But who's gonna sweep up??:eek: :eek:

Nancy

Jonathon Spafford
06-05-2007, 1:47 AM
FINALLY!!!!!!!! :D Congrats... that is really a Kodak moment! ;) Looking forward to the finished pix!

Chris Barton
06-05-2007, 6:51 AM
Great pictures Nancy! But, were you using a roughing gouge to do the outside of that bowl? (in my best Elmer Fudd impersonation voice) Be very carefull...

Nancy Laird
06-05-2007, 3:18 PM
But, were you using a roughing gouge to do the outside of that bowl?

Chris, I was using a 50s-era 1" Atlas bowl gouge--inherited from the FIL. It's a monster. From my research, no one even makes a bowl gouge this large any more.

Nancy

Keith Burns
06-05-2007, 4:27 PM
Chris, I was using a 50s-era 1" Atlas bowl gouge--inherited from the FIL. It's a monster. From my research, no one even makes a bowl gouge this large any more.

Nancy

Nancy, Crown makes one but I cant find anyone who carries it. A couple of weeks ago I was at a friends shop and we mounted a 30" dia. x 18" thick (about 200#) hunk of box elder on his oneway. He had a 1" gouge that he had bought at a AAW Symposium. I fell in love with it and want to get one but the demand for this size must not be very popular.

Frank Kobilsek
06-05-2007, 4:56 PM
Nancy
Nice relaxed overhand grip with your left hand. Thats good. It won't be long and you'll be able to drink coffee with your left hand and turn the inside of a bowl one handed.
Frank

Nancy Laird
06-05-2007, 6:09 PM
Nancy, Crown makes one but I cant find anyone who carries it. A couple of weeks ago I was at a friends shop and we mounted a 30" dia. x 18" thick (about 200#) hunk of box elder on his oneway. He had a 1" gouge that he had bought at a AAW Symposium. I fell in love with it and want to get one but the demand for this size must not be very popular.

When I was at the store today, I checked and the largest they carry is a 1/2"; checked the CSUSA site and they carry Crown, and they don't have a 1" either. I sure am glad I have my old Atlas.

Nancy
Nice relaxed overhand grip with your left hand. Thats good. It won't be long and you'll be able to drink coffee with your left hand and turn the inside of a bowl one handed.
Frank
Frank, if you were here, you wouldn't think that left hand is so relaxed! I put a groove across my palm last night with that thing, but you're right, from the first cuts to when I stopped, it got easier. But I can't imagine trying to do it one-handed! :eek:

Nancy

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-05-2007, 9:33 PM
WELCOME to the Vortex! From what I see, so far, That is going to be LOVELY!

Bruce