PDA

View Full Version : Remot control on 3hp DC

Rick Levine
06-04-2007, 12:51 AM
I have a Woodtek 3hp DC that requires a 30A circuit. I checked out a couple of Penn State controllers but even their most powerful unit only works on 19A. The Woodtek manual says it runs on 19A but the startup requires a 30A circuit breaker.

This brings me to my question I found an X10 controller that might work and was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this device?

Here is a link to it:

http://www.smarthome.com/1289.html (http://www.smarthome.com/1289.html)

Joe Chritz
06-04-2007, 12:59 AM
I have an X10. Not sure if mine will handle 30amp because it is on a 20 amp circuit. It runs a 3HP Super Dust Gorilla.

All in all I like the X10. Small, light and easy to use. It also will run more than one piece of equipment if that is needed. I clip the remote to a carabiner and clip it to my belt loop.

At some point I may switch to a unit that turns the dust collector on whenever a blast gate is opened. I haven't priced it out yet because the X10 is simple to use and performs well.

Joe

Charles Grosjean
06-04-2007, 1:24 AM
You can

1) use a regular remote (long ranger) to control a contactor or a real motor starter (overload protection)

2) use an X10 module to control a contactor as above

3) Use the ELK X10 system that you linked (no overload protection)

4) Buy a turnkey unit from grizzly including remote and overload for ~ $100. Look through their cyclone manuals for the right size.

I have a Woodtek 3hp DC that requires a 30A circuit.

This brings me to my question I found an X10 controller that might work and was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this device?

Tony Shaftel
06-04-2007, 1:34 AM
When I went from a 2hp DC to a 3hp DC I added a 'definite purpose contactor' relay to the controller circuit. Instead of powering the DC motor the controller circuit activates the relay, which powers the motor. It's built to take the high currents that occur during startup. I got mine from Grainger for around $22 plus shipping. I was able to shoehorn it into a large outlet box, thus avoiding having to buy a more expensive enclosure for it. I've attempted to attach a pic.

M Toupin
06-04-2007, 8:18 AM
Rick,
You can put together a very robust remote using a contactor and standard remote. The contactor will handle the current/amps better than the garden variety commercial stuff like the X10 etc. Check here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11772 for a plan.

The nice part about a shop built one is it's modular unlike the commercial stuff. If for some reason you loose the contactor or remote you just replace the one part, not the entire deal. Though that's not really a problem as Dennis' plan is robust. I've been running the same setup for over 3 years with not as much as a hiccup. My total cost was under $20 but all I needed was a contactor, I had everything else on hand. You could put one together with all new parts for $30-$50 depending on how fancy you want to get.

Mike