PDA

View Full Version : ridgid warranty

Mike Jones NM
06-03-2007, 9:30 PM
Picked up a ridgid oscillating edge belt/spindle sander today and was looking at the warranty info and it states that the lifetime guarantee covers defects in workmanship, materials, and normal wear items.
SO does this mean when I wear out a belt or sanding drum from "normal" wear they are going to replace it??

Jim Grill
06-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Sign me up for that deal!

Wishful thinking.

Howard Acheson
06-03-2007, 10:17 PM
>> SO does this mean when I wear out a belt or sanding drum from "normal" wear they are going to replace it??

No, but they will replace internal belts and they will replace power tool batteries also.

However, it's not a warranty. The Ridgid warranty is three years. The "lifetime" item is a Lifetime Service Agreement. You need to register the tool and you need to return the tool to Ridgid for service, not Home Depot.

Mike Jones NM
06-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Yup, guess we could only hope. Will be sanding mostly maple so I'm sure I will be using them up in a hurry. Local home depot only had 2 sets of replacement drums and they are no longer going to have them in stock. ANyone got a supplier for them?
Thanks

Tim Malyszko
06-03-2007, 11:04 PM
However, it's not a warranty. The Ridgid warranty is three years. The "lifetime" item is a Lifetime Service Agreement. You need to register the tool and you need to return the tool to Ridgid for service, not Home Depot.

I will give you a head's up. I own four Ridgid Tools (table saw, spindle sander, jointer and planer) and I have yet to get a single "lifetime warranty" registration go through without a hitch. In fact, the process has been so difficult that I am hesitant to buy a Ridgid tool in the future because this difficulty in the registation process scares me when I think about the hoops I will have to jump through if I ever do need to make a warranty claim.

My point is that make sure you follow all the directions to a tee if you take advantage of the limetime warranty. To me, the lifetime warranty is a worthless feature that I would not base my purchase decision on. I'd rather have a 1 to 3 year warranty from a company that makes warranty claims/registration easy. For instance, Delta was a breeze to deal with when I needed to replace a broken part on my mortister.

Scott Kuykendall
06-04-2007, 7:27 AM
You can get all your sanding supplies from Klingspor. There stuff last longer then ant other sandpaper I have used.
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/
Scott

Dave Sweeney
06-04-2007, 11:53 AM
My experience registering for the Ridgid Limited Lifetime Service Agreement has been the exact opposite from Tim's. I have so far registered three tools in the LLSA program and each one got registered in a very timely manner and totally hassle free.

As Howard stated, HD is not the place to take your tool if you do need service sometime down the road. However, you don't need to send the tool back to Ridgid for service but instead you'll need to take it or send it to a Ridgid Authorized Service Center.

Tim Malyszko
06-04-2007, 12:05 PM
My experience registering for the Ridgid Limited Lifetime Service Agreement has been the exact opposite from Tim's. I have so far registered three tools in the LLSA program and each one got registered in a very timely manner and totally hassle free.

Dave,

Your comments make me feel better that my warranty issues will get taken care of. I guess I've had really bad luck. On two of my items, the paperwork was sent back because I did not inlcude the UPC, even though I am 99.9999% certain I sent them (I ended up sending the photo copies, so hopefully that will satisfy the requirements). On the other two, one was rejected for not indicating the model number, even though the receipt and on-line registration printout clearly indicates it and the other one was returned for an unknown reason because it had everything they asked for.

Anyway, I hope it works out.

Dave Sweeney
06-04-2007, 7:32 PM
Tim,

When I registered my tools I figured that if I supplied more information than they asked for that maybe it might help make the process go smoothly. I sent a cover letter along with my UPC and copy of my receipt. In the cover letter I listed a description of the item, the serial number of the item and the Ridgid generated ID number that was assigned to the item when I put it in my eBox. I also provided them with my eBox login name.

If you are still having a problem getting your tools registered I would suggest you call Ridgid Customer Service @ 1-800-474-3443 and talk to one of the reps, make sure you get their name. Explain to them the situation and inquire if they can rectify the situation if you resubmit the paperwork and send it directly to their attention.