PDA

View Full Version : Three Box Elder Burl Turnings

Shane Whitlock
06-03-2007, 6:25 PM
Three turnings from this weekend.

First is a small bowl modeled after a piece of indian pottery by Maria Martinez. Dyed with blue fabric dye.
(hopefully the pics will show up, I direct linked them from my site, if ya can't see them please let me know)

http://www.shanewhitlock.com/gallery/d/1369-2/CRW_0253.jpg

2nd is a hollow form. 5 inches tall.

http://www.shanewhitlock.com/gallery/d/1365-2/CRW_0250.jpg

3rd is a natural edge vase. 6 inches tall.

http://www.shanewhitlock.com/gallery/d/1367-3/CRW_0251.jpg

All three pieces have round bottoms and finished with Generals Seal-A-Cell and carnauba wax.

Comments/Critiques always appreciated...

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock

Bernie Weishapl
06-03-2007, 6:28 PM
Wow Shane those are beautiful. I really like the middle one although I like them all. Nice job.

Mark Cothren
06-03-2007, 6:42 PM
Those are some nice pieces, Shane - all three of 'em!

Nancy Laird
06-03-2007, 7:11 PM
I have to agree that all three are just lovely, but - in direct contradiction to my statement that NEs are my least favorite - I like the third one the best. Without the bark on the NE, it really looks like the crater of a volcano--it reminds me of the Shiprock.

Nancy

Steve Schlumpf
06-03-2007, 7:21 PM
Wow Shane! Really like all three pieces. I find the bowl interesting because of the dye - makes it look like some other type of material. The second piece I really like the form and the burl grain. The third is my favorite as it blends the finished wood and gentle curve of the bottom half of the vase with the natural edge - love the combination! Plus you have almost a rainbow band of color around the middle of the vase. Very nice work on all three!

Jim Becker
06-03-2007, 7:51 PM
They are all really great, Shane. But I have to say, that number three is the one that catches my eye the most. Exquisite!

BTW, while linking to pictures elsewhere works nicely, it also means that if your remote site (or file) ever goes away, the content here at SMC will also lose it. Directly uploading to SMC means the picture will always stay with the text.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
06-03-2007, 8:28 PM
Wow Shane,

these are great...I really like the first one!

Curt Fuller
06-03-2007, 10:00 PM
I've got to say that I'm blown away by all three of those too. But the dyed piece has a slight edge on the other two. Very interesting color in it. All three are amazing though.

(btw, if you don't slow down on the box elder they're going to have to change the name of the county.)

Mike Vickery
06-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Shane,
I love number 2. Not crazy about the shape of 1 and 3, but as I often say form is a real preference type of thing and the turnings all seem to be high quality.
I have just started playing with seal-a-cell and would be curious if you could give me details on your finishing method with it.

Jim Ketron
06-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Beautiful work Shane!

Keith Burns
06-04-2007, 2:08 PM
Shane, all three are perfect, you do some really nice work !! If I had to pick one it would be No. 2, or maybe No. 3, no No. 1, no No. 2...........

Paul Engle
06-04-2007, 2:15 PM
#1, no, #2 well maybe. nope gotta be #3 good call on the shape and color line. I like #1 2nd then #3 3rd. Nice work on all 3 actually.

Joyce Baldauf
06-04-2007, 4:40 PM
Shane,

Really like 1 & 2. Love #3. I am amazed by the NE. Really awesome!:D

Joyce

Shane Whitlock
06-04-2007, 8:32 PM
Thanks for all the great comments everyone. It was fun reading all the different opinions. I personally don't like #1. The dye job makes the grain look cool but I don't care for the form ... Had to try something different though. #2 is my favorite. I love turning hollow forms and I like the round body on this one. #3 I don't care for much either, boring form. It was a small blank and I couldn't do much more with it and still keep the natural edge. I might be able to turn a base and stem for it and make it into a goblet. :rolleyes: The grain is wild with great color and I like the natural edge.

Mike I sand to 1200 and then give it a good soaking with the Seal-a-Cell. I keep it wet for about 15 minutes and watch for areas that soak it up faster, if it looks like its drying out I add more. After soaking I wipe off the excess with a paper towel and then let the piece sit over night. Once its good and dry I buff it with White Diamond and carnauba wax.

Thanks again for the comments....

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock

Jonathon Spafford
06-05-2007, 1:36 AM
It is just disgusting how some people have all the talent :D I like all three pieces! The first one really has a unique shape... but I like it! I love the shape of the second one and the third one has a great bit of natural edge! The shape is nice on the last one... might have also looked nice if you had made it a little more vase like and raised the widest diamter a bit over center for a more traditional shape or even made a long stemless goblet. But it still looks great! Awesome work!

Ken LaSota
06-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Shane I like all three pieces but I really like the staining on #1.
Ken

John Timberlake
06-05-2007, 7:04 PM
I love them all. Very interesting effective with the fabric dye. Really brings out the grain and actually makes it look like some of the pottery.

Ron Mitchell
06-05-2007, 9:00 PM
Shane,

I really like all three but my favorite is the first one, it reminds me of Buckeye Burl. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing the photos.