PDA

View Full Version : Mission Head Board

Michael Pfau
06-03-2007, 2:55 PM
I wanted to share my latest. I completed this Mission Head Board, part of my bedroom set, that I am in the middle of. QTR White Oak, Dark Walnut Oil, and several coats of wipe on poly. King size. A few months ago, I posted the night stands for the set. Chest of drawers are next, 2 of them. Thanks for looking!

Jim Becker
06-03-2007, 2:55 PM
Very nice, Michael!!

Jeff Raymond
06-03-2007, 3:53 PM
Very, very nice. Did you draw up your own plans or...?

Looks just great. You ought to be proud of this one!

Thanks for sharing.

Gary Keedwell
06-03-2007, 4:00 PM
Looking good. Tell me you cleaned up the shop for the picture.;) That reminds me: supposed to clean my shop this afternoon.:(

Question: Are those individual mortises for the spindles or did you use the slot & spacer method? Anyways, I'm not going to let LOML see it because it might give her ideas.:p
Gary K.

Don Bullock
06-03-2007, 4:02 PM
Michael, that's beautiful and it shows some excellent craftsmanship.

Something similar to yours is definately a project that is on my "must do" short list. My wife and I like the look of Arts & Crafts/Mission/Prairie Style/Greene & Greene etc. furniture. That's one reason I decided to get back into it as a hobby.

Glenn Clabo
06-03-2007, 5:06 PM
Michael...VERY nice work. But ya know what...been doing this woodworking thing for a long time...every once in a while I see something that I wish I thought of a long time ago. Clamps to hold the pc up...yup it's simple...but.... I'm always trying to prop things up in other ways...DUH!

Pat Germain
06-03-2007, 6:45 PM
Beautiful piece. I'm glad you posted pics.

Does anyone fume mission furniture anymore? Or, is it no longer done for some reason? I'm asking because I never see examples of fumed mission furniture. Perhaps available oak these days doesn't respond well to fuming?

glenn bradley
06-03-2007, 7:58 PM
Love that style. Great job.

Jim Becker
06-03-2007, 7:58 PM
Pat, fuming is done less generally because it's a dangerous process. Similar results can be had using other methods, such as dyes, with less risk. But there are certainly some folks who still fume.

It has nothing to do with "today's oak"...just the process.

Gary Keedwell
06-03-2007, 7:59 PM
I've seen a few posts in the recent past that said they fumed their QSWO.:)

Gary K.

Scott Vigder
06-03-2007, 8:11 PM
Beautiful work!

How did you cut all those mortises?

Brent Dowell
06-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Those pictures just look a little funny to me. It looks like it was drawn in Sketchup and rendered with some fancy software.

Theres NO way a shop could be that clean and organized with that nice a looking headboard in it! :eek:

Bill Huber
06-03-2007, 10:52 PM
Great looking headboard, I like the color and style. Now I am waiting to see the Chest of drawers.

Again very nice.

gary Zimmel
06-04-2007, 12:33 AM
Great work ..... Are you going to make the footboard?

Joe Unni
06-04-2007, 7:03 AM
Well done Michael!

-joe

Scott Halverson
06-04-2007, 8:38 AM
Very nice job Michael! I really enjoy the "Arts and Crafts" look.

Are the vertical uprights 5/4 or 6/4?

Thanks,

Scott