PDA

View Full Version : Red Bud NE

Mark Cothren
06-03-2007, 2:13 PM
Must be NE day...:)

Here's a piece of Red Bud collected from a neighbor's yard. The tree was broken down when a tree removal service had a huge Pine fall on it...:mad: The wood has some awful ringshake, so I did a little patch job with some epoxy and coffee grounds.

It ended up 9-1/4" at the tips and 6-1/2" at the valleys. It also stands a little over 4" at the tips.

Comments of all flavors are welcomed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/RedBudNE01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/RedBudNE02.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/RedBudNE03.jpg

Jason Slutsky
06-03-2007, 2:33 PM
Excellent job overall! Great work on the patch. I like the foot a lot. Is that carved and burned?

Mike Vickery
06-03-2007, 2:44 PM
Very nice. I really like what you did with the foot.

George Van
06-03-2007, 3:32 PM
That's a beauty Mark! I to find the foot interesting. do you have a close-up of the foot?

Keith Burns
06-03-2007, 3:44 PM
Perfect ! :) :) :)

Bernie Weishapl
06-03-2007, 4:01 PM
Beautiful Mark. Form and finish look great. I like the coffee highlight. Nice job.

Shane Whitlock
06-03-2007, 4:13 PM
Very nice! ... Love the form on this one! Great job on the patch work.

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock

Steve Schlumpf
06-03-2007, 7:34 PM
Beautiful work Mark! Love the form on this one - perfectly balanced! Also love the colors and the detail work around the foot! Very, very nice!

Mark Cothren
06-04-2007, 2:24 PM
Is that carved and burned?

I to find the foot interesting. do you have a close-up of the foot?

Jason/George... I don't have a close-up of the foot and I'm here at work right now. I do have a view of the bottom that I'll add. The foot is branded/burned - not carved.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/RedBudNE03.jpg

Man, how goofy am I... didn't realize I had already added this pic earlier... sorry about that.

Nancy Laird
06-04-2007, 3:42 PM
The wood has some awful ringshake, so I did a little patch job with some epoxy and coffee grounds.
]

What on earth is "ringshake?" I've seen this term before, but I sure don't know what it means. Will someone please enlighten me?? I'm sure that one of these days I'll run into it, so I'd like to know what to look for.

Nancy

George Van
06-04-2007, 3:59 PM
Thank Mark, that shows it well enough!

Mark Cothren
06-04-2007, 4:06 PM
]

What on earth is "ringshake?" I've seen this term before, but I sure don't know what it means. Will someone please enlighten me?? I'm sure that one of these days I'll run into it, so I'd like to know what to look for.

Nancy

When you see it you will know it...:D The wood separates between the growth rings. I'm not sure if wind causes this, or if it is just characteristic of certain flavors of wood. I've seen it in some Texas Mesquite that Ernie Nyvall found in the bottom of his pond...;) I've also seen it in the only two Black Gum trees that I've taken wood from.

Ed Scolforo
06-04-2007, 4:31 PM
Mark, the NE is beautiful, as I always expect from you!

Tom Sherman
06-04-2007, 5:18 PM
Great bowl Mark, that foot treatment looks like you sat your bowl on a Reese's Cup.

Curt Fuller
06-06-2007, 6:47 AM
Beautiful bowl Mark! That detail on the foot really looks good. I think that's the first time I've seen Redbud turned. It's pretty nice looking wood.

Reed Gray
06-06-2007, 10:32 AM
I have managed to get my hands on some red bud out here in Oregon a few times, and it always seems to have the ring shake in it. Love the greenish colors.
robo hippy

Joseph Peacock
06-10-2007, 3:36 PM
WOW very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D ;) :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
06-10-2007, 3:52 PM
Mark....exquisitely done! I especially like the burned foot treatement.

]

Nancy

Nancy....From what I've read or heard of ringshake ...it's the tendancy of a piece of wood to separate or split along its grain due to being stressed by wind or heavy snow/ice etc. You'll often see it referred to as ringshake or windshake....