PDA

View Full Version : Turners

Bernie Weishapl
06-03-2007, 1:07 PM
Just curious if there are any turners from Richmond, Virginia area? Going to be down there the next week and a half for the granddaughters graduation from high school. Thought if I got a free day maybe a visit.

Nancy Laird
06-03-2007, 1:13 PM
Bernie, Tom Sherman is in Roanoke - that's not exactly Richmond, but it's only about 2 hours away by interstate, IIRC.

Nancy

Tom Sherman
06-03-2007, 1:50 PM
Bernie, Nancy is correct I am in Roanoke, but I think it would be a little closer to three hours away. That being said would love meet you I believe that Jim Ketron lives out Richmond way, Don Fuss and Mark Pruitt both live in the Lynchburg area would be nice to get us all together for a brief bull session.

Nancy Laird
06-03-2007, 1:52 PM
Sounds like a Creeker gathering is in the making!! I'm jealous!

Nancy

Jim Ketron
06-03-2007, 2:30 PM
That would be cool!
But I live on the southwest side of the state. I can almost spit on the Va/Tn state line from my house, I'm about 20 min from Bristol TN/Va and 2 min from Kingsport TN.

Tony De Masi
06-03-2007, 4:48 PM
Bernie,

I'm in Woodbridge, Va., just over an hour straight north of Richmond, and you are certainly welcome at my house, ah shop, ah studio...... I will warn you though that the traffice on I95 can be just horrendous so timing would be critical. Also, if you and your family have the time I could get you a tour of a very special place in D.C. PM me for specifics if interested.

Tony

Bernie Weishapl
06-03-2007, 6:27 PM
I will talk to my son and see what he has in mind. I just wanted to see if anyone was close in case graduation doesn't take up all his time. Tom if it is doable that would be the highlight of my turning so far. If not this time the next time down we definately will have to see if it will work. I will let you know.

Tony that sounds good also. We just came from a tour of DC. I received a award from the Dept. of Tansportation and from the FAA. We spent several days touring DC. It is a cool place to visit but wouldn't want to work or live there.

Tony De Masi
06-03-2007, 6:44 PM
Bernie,

I understand what you mean about DC. I've been working there for 27 years but there is a major light at the end of the tunnel as I am planning to retire at the end of this year. At least at that point my work won't get in the way of my life.

Have a great and safe trip.

Tony

Bernie Weishapl
06-03-2007, 9:27 PM
Thanks Tony. I am planning ahead to. I have 2 more years and I will be 62. I will also have 27 yrs. of Federal service. There are just to many changes going on and some I don't feel are good changes. The unions are getting greedy and I can already see where they are out sourcing our jobs now. They keep it up and the whole FAA is going to be going out on contract to private industry.

Patrick Taylor
06-04-2007, 12:00 AM
...They keep it up and the whole FAA is going to be going out on contract to private industry.

The same thing is happening to engineers at DoD but I think they're starting to figure it out. Hopefully in time!

- Another DC federal employee :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
06-04-2007, 12:27 AM
Yep Patrick and it isn't any fun wondering. We are now instead of being certified on equipment (I am a electronic tech supervisor) are now being credintialed. Which means if you attend the FAA school you can work on it without taking a certification exam. I fly a lot and am not sure I want some nobody working on equipment my plane relies on to land and take off or navigate around the country. Oh well maybe I can make it a couple more years.

Mark Pruitt
06-04-2007, 8:15 AM
Bernie,
Sorry to be so late. Long, busy weekend.:D

Keep me in the loop on this. Definitely interested.:) :) :)

BTW like Tom said, both Don and I are just west of Lynchburg, about 2.5 hours west of Richmond.

Bill Sampson
06-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Bernie,

Sent you and e-mail.

Bill Sampson, Richmond