PDA

View Full Version : Last present Bench/Blanket Chest

Greg Scott
01-08-2004, 9:24 AM
This is the last present that I will post today. It is kind of a bench with a blanket chest on top or something like that. My mother saw a picture of this and thought it would look good on her 4 seasons porch. The picture was made of cedar but since I had some cherry sitting around waiting to be used that is what got the nod.
Thanks for looking.
Greg

Lloyd Robins
01-08-2004, 9:26 AM
Nice work! I like the detail on the lid. Thanks for posting.

Tyler Howell
01-08-2004, 9:27 AM
Thanks for sharing, Very nice. How much storage.

Tyler

Dick Parr
01-08-2004, 9:38 AM
Very Nice! A lot of detail.

Steve Inniss
01-08-2004, 10:00 AM
Another fine project. I admire it when someone is as meticulous as that.

Dan Smith
01-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Looks great! The shallower storage area reminds me of a piano or organ bench. Is that cedar it is lined with?

again, nice work,

-dan

Byron Trantham
01-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Greg, very nice unit. I too, like the lid detail. What is the color of the stain?

John Scarpa
01-08-2004, 10:19 AM
Greg,
Nice work. It has a really functional design while still having alot of visual interest. Great finish too.
John

John Miliunas
01-08-2004, 10:27 AM
Greg, very, very unique piece! If you just got that from a picture, you nailed it dead on! As others indicate, beautiful detail. Form AND function...I like that! :cool:

Paul Smith
01-08-2004, 11:23 AM
Boy, you do nice work! You must have been veeeerrrrrrry busy prior to Christmas. The only concern I would have is there are bumper pads on the front corners of the lid/seat, but nothing on the rear corners. This means that any weight on the lid is only supported by the short screws in the lid supports. Is that going to be a weak spot in the long run? You could probably put bumper pads back there to transfer the weight to the carcass.

Greg Scott
01-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Dan,
Yep lined with cedar.
Greg

Looks great! The shallower storage area reminds me of a piano or organ bench. Is that cedar it is lined with?

again, nice work,

-dan

Greg Scott
01-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Byron,
No stain just BLO with 50/50 wipe on poly. I hate to cover cherry up with stain.
Thanks for the kind words,
Greg

Greg, very nice unit. I too, like the lid detail. What is the color of the stain?

Greg Scott
01-08-2004, 11:47 AM
Paul,
I think it will be ok on the back side the piano hinge sits flush when closed to that should absorb most of the weight.
Greg

Boy, you do nice work! You must have been veeeerrrrrrry busy prior to Christmas. The only concern I would have is there are bumper pads on the front corners of the lid/seat, but nothing on the rear corners. This means that any weight on the lid is only supported by the short screws in the lid supports. Is that going to be a weak spot in the long run? You could probably put bumper pads back there to transfer the weight to the carcass.

Paul Smith
01-08-2004, 12:00 PM
Paul,
I think it will be ok on the back side the piano hinge sits flush when closed to that should absorb most of the weight.
Greg

You're right, I hadn't noticed that before. Again, very nice work.

Daniel Rabinovitz
01-09-2004, 11:00 AM
Greg
Very Nice Work!
Us flat woodworkers have to post more photos to keep up with the round woodworkers.
Your bench/chest hits the spot.
Extremely well executed.
Best Regards
Daniel