PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 8529

Dar Lounsbury
06-03-2007, 12:31 PM
I am about to spring for a plunge router. Found the PC 8529 at a reasonable price. What pros and cons have users found with this unit?

Thanks for you comments

Mike Cutler
06-03-2007, 2:00 PM
Dar.

I have 3 of them. Great routers, I always seem to find them on clearance for ~$100.00.

Pros;
Good power. It will spin any bit you can throw at it.
Slow start.
Variable speed down to 10,000 rpm.
ON/OFF switch is easily accesible.
Can be installed in a router table and adjusted from on top.
3 stop depth setting.
It's easy to hook a vac up to one.
The "D" shape of the base provides a nice flat reference side for work.
I personally like the shape of the handles/ I find they give me a lot of control. Some folks hate the shape though. For me, they are a pro.

Cons;
The plunge mechanism can be a little sticky at times
The shape of the base makes after market baseplates and googaws harder to find.
The "Ninja Star" bushing adapter is a PITA to get set up properly, and it doesn't keep the bushing exactly centered. You will need an after market baseplate for template work. Throw the "ninja star" in a drawer.
The "D" shape of the router base means that you have to be really careful on edge guides to not roll the router onto, or off of, the flat section of the "D".

This is a fairly good sized router,physically that is. I have larger hands so it's easy for me to operate , but I can see how someone with smaller hands would have problems controlling it. If you can get one at a good price, go for it.

Russ Massery
06-03-2007, 2:29 PM
Same here I found one at the local home center on clearance for 100.00 too. I find Mike's assessment pretty much right on. I didn't have issues with adapter though. :rolleyes:

pat warner
06-03-2007, 5:23 PM
Serious powerful plunger, strange 2-stage trigger switch. History of microprocessor and brake problems. A bit sloppy on its plunge posts locked or unlocked. Over sprung motor head, far from bouyant.
Loved mine when they were functioning.
Depth adjustments (upside down) will be met with surprises if accessory knobs are not in play. Micro-adjust confusing, through the casting chip collection.
I make a 7", 360 degree-round collar accepting subbase for this tool.

Routers (http://www.patwarner.com)

Robert Wimmer
06-03-2007, 5:56 PM
I have two and use one in a router table. The only problem I have encountered is with the trigger switch on the one in the router table. It had continued to trip when under load. I think the problem is caused by dust getting into the trigger works. After cleaning it was OK for awhile but coninues to trip unless you tape the trigger closed. I eqiped mine with a Router Razer to permit adjustments from above and that has voided the warrenty. The router I use hand-held continues to perform well with excellent dust collection. As others have said, power is adequate, even when using large panel raising bits. Hope this helps.

Curt Harms
06-03-2007, 6:29 PM
Hi Pat

Sure you're not talking about the 7529? That thing had a "history" My 8529 has just a toggle switch and seemingly no brake. They look alike at first glance-the tip off for the 8529 is the black toggle switch by the right handle. It's a shame that Porter Cable didn't differentiate between the two models although to do so would have meant admitting one huge blunder bringing the 7529 to market.

I heard the 8529 is being discontinued which wouldn't be a surprise given that Black & Decker now owns both Porter-Cable & DeWalt (621 & 618) I don't know if the 8529's discontinuation is true or not.

Curt

Serious powerful plunger, strange 2-stage trigger switch. History of microprocessor and brake problems. A bit sloppy on its plunge posts locked or unlocked. Over sprung motor head, far from bouyant.
Loved mine when they were functioning.
Depth adjustments (upside down) will be met with surprises if accessory knobs are not in play. Micro-adjust confusing, through the casting chip collection.
I make a 7", 360 degree-round collar accepting subbase for this tool.

pat warner
06-03-2007, 7:19 PM
Had 2 new 8529's in early production, one hand delivered x PC, both failed inside of 2 hours operating time. (Dead microprocessors).
Tools were well labeled, differentiated & indicated.
The 7529 lasted longer, but, alas with starting, running, speed and brake anomalies.
Component upgrades (on the 8529) were made on the fly and I have not sampled units over the life of the product.
PC is not the only company releasing product before it's ready.

Dan Boschen
06-03-2007, 7:49 PM
I've got a 7529 and I've had nothing but problems with it. It will hardly run a 1/4 inch straight bit when cutting a slot (at only 1/8 - 1/4 in depth!). The speed runs all over the place and the funky old hand switch doesn't actuate completely when locked. I took it to the local repair shop twice an no luck. I've ended up finding a DeWalt DW625 for my plunge needs and use an older PC6902 (no microprocessor) for everything else. I wish PC would recognize the issues with the 7529 and offer a deal to switch out with a 8529. I like the features of the design, as long as it works.

Dan Boschen
Amarillo, TX

Mike Cutler
06-04-2007, 8:42 AM

I forgot to mention that. It is a little confusing to set up the first time, evrything seems counter intuitive. Once setup properly, per the instruction manual, mine has had no issues.

It's interesting to note the problems that you outlined. Perhaps PC corrected the problems too late, and by then the damage was done, and the router had developed a bad rep that hurt saleability.

I've done a lot of work with mine and never had any issues, other than the sticky plunge mechanism. Some "Alumi-Seize helped that out a little.

Mike Cutler
06-04-2007, 8:49 AM
Same here I found one at the local home center on clearance for 100.00 too. I find Mike's assessment pretty much right on. I didn't have issues with adapter though. :rolleyes:

Russ.
The problem I've encountered with the adapter is that the PC bushings didn't fit tightly in the adapter and could "wozzle" just slightly. I tried the brass, and the aluminum set by PC. I finally gave up and bought an after market baseplate for it (Round). Both sets of bushings fit great in it.

Jim O'Dell
08-05-2007, 5:45 PM
I found this thread while searching for fixes for the 8529. My speed control was going bad. It would only work up to 3 or 3.5 then shut off if you tried to get a faster speed than that. I haven't used it in a couple months, hooked it up to trim the laminate on the torsion boxes I've built and nothing, not a peep. Is this how they have gone bad in the past? Or do I have 2 problems? Also, who has the best price on the microprocessors and have they improved them at all? I bet this unit doesn't have 15 hours of use on it, and if the new processor isn't any better, I'd be better off getting something else on sale. THANKS! Jim.

Tom Cowie
08-05-2007, 7:47 PM
Dar
Like some of the others I own three of the PC plunge routers (2 7529, 1 8529). I got what I felt was a good deal on all of them. I use the 8529 in a table extension of my table saw and the 2 7529s' are used for freehand work along with making dovetails on a Leigh jig.

I haven't had any trouble to note except for a broken spindle pin on one of the 75s' (my fault I over tightened a large bit)

I use these routers regularly and they preform very well. I must add that I may have been one of the lucky ones because I have heard of the problems others have had for years which is very unfortunate because these routers feel very good as for balance and control compared to some others.

Tom

Jim O'Dell
08-05-2007, 8:43 PM
Tom, you are right about how the 8529 feels, and I'm sure the 7529 is the same. I love the soft start. I just hope I can change out the speed control and have it back for many years to come. It would have been so much easier to use than holding that 7518 this weekend! Glad I got that one to go in the future router table!!
I emailed PC to ask if the speed controls have been revamped so they will last longer. We'll see what they have to say. Wonder if I can hardwire it to full on? :cool: Jim.

Bob Feeser
08-05-2007, 9:15 PM
I have 3 8529's and like others here got them for $100. When Home Depot was clearing out all of their quality stuff to make way for their own tool line, they sold the 8529's for 100 dollars. They also sold the Milwaukee 14.4 hammer drill, with carbide teeth for the same amount of money. I bought 2 of them also. Sold one, kept the other one. I wish I had known ahead of time, this was going to happen, I would have bought as many as they had. As it was I had to go to 3 stores to find what was left. They went on eBay right after that for a miniumum of 50 bucks a pop, over the store clearance price.
Ok, onto the router, I have not had one lick of problems with the 8529. The predecessor, as several people have mentioned the 7529 had a switch problem, and it happened to just about everybody, so it was a tool to stay away from. As I recall it was in the finger switch. The 8529 replaced that setup, with a toggle switch on the side. I must admit that I am using them in router tables, so the toggle switch is left on, and I turn on the router with a combo accessory switch, that turns on the router and the shop vac at the same time.
To be critical of the 8529 is to say that it is rated at 2 PEAK horsepower, so even though it has a wide enough base opening, that will handle a 3 1/2" raised panel bit, which is important to have at least one that does, but it does so with a little laboring. A 3+ hp router is better suited for that. But for regular routing it works without a whimper.
The above table settings is worth it alone. Also plunge routers have the advantage of riding along two guide tubes, that makes for a very accurate plunge. So when you are closing in on the right setting, and only need a fine tweaking, you can count on the plunge tubes to keep it at the same place when you release the old setting. On fixed base routers, loosening the large collar, that holds the motor, can allow it to jump your setting, then you need to go back to a more gross setting again. Their are exceptions to this, for example the Makita has a spin method. My Bosch 1617's which I love, do drive the engineers nuts, when they torgue a little to one side, when releasing the collet, then slightly shift their position, when tightening them up.
It looks to me like the 8529 is the one that Norm is constantly using on NYW for hand held work.
I fell in love with the 8529's when I was coming from non above table adjusting routers, and all of the problems certain plunges gave you for under the table work, so I kind of rant, and raved about it on Amazon. You can read my review on it here (http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-8529-Variable-Plunge-Router/dp/B00007CW5C/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-3792343-1672133?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1186361875&sr=8-1). It's the second one down.
PS: The little clear plastic dust shield/protector is a joke, just set it aside.