PDA

View Full Version : Bifocal safety Glasses

Thomas Canfield
06-03-2007, 8:57 AM
I recently had very successful cataract surgery with lens implants done that gave me distance vision after 55 years+ of heavy corrective nearsighted correction and wore bifocals or trifocals the last 30. Now I only need reading or bifocals for closer work, but will likely get trifocals for use reading engineering drawings, computer screen, and literature at work, and found that the +1.5 works well for computer and +2.0 for reading.

I ordered the Bifocal Safety Glasses from Craft Supplies USA in both the 1.5 and 2.0 hoping that the bifocal safety glasses would work in the shop, but found that the size and location of the bifocal did not work well with doing lathe work or much else other than limited reading. A reply from the glass company said that all their bifocals have the same size and placement, so that is not another option. A full face shield is used during turning, but the wrap around safety glasses are a good feature for other tools from table saw,router, drill press, on down the line. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I guess I can always get a new pair of safety glasses made with the bi or trifocals, but they do would not wrap and require the side shields.

Jamie Buxton
06-03-2007, 9:37 AM
There are stick-on reading lenses. They're flexible plastic, and just stick on to other glasses. You can just stick them on to ordinary safety glasses, wherever you want. Google with "stick-on reading lenses".

Jim Becker
06-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Thomas, I had the same issue as you when I first bought some "cheater" safety glasses...the reading area was far too small for my liking. Then I found a different style at Duluth Trading that I've been using for some time that don't have the problem. Unfortunately, it appears they don't sell them anymore. RxSafety (http://www.rx-safety.com/Safety-Glasses/index.htm) will make up safety glasses in a variety of styles and you can specific a larger magnification area when ordering. (Someone posted a way to get a discount here, but I can't seem to find that link)

Brian Dormer
06-03-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm just going thru the transition from single vision to progressive bifocals (I couldnt see things close up with glasses on). I held off for 5 years, but it's not going to get better - so I bit the bullet. I've had "unique" vision problems all my life - and only one eye actually works - so the transition is difficult.

You might consider going to a really good optometrist (ask if they are certified). A lot of the folks fitting glasses in the chain stores have a 2-week crash course and almost ZERO real experience - the "ordinary" stuff they can handle - they won't be able to deal with unique or special needs.

glenn bradley
06-03-2007, 12:32 PM
I had a pair of Rx safety glasses made and am extremely happy. Side protection, etc. is standard on frames made for safety glasses. The frames are actually made almost in reverse. As opposed to keeping your lenses from falling out, they are geared to prevent them from being pushed in.

There are some "glasses stores" out there that will put your Rx on safety glass and install the lenses in your old frames. DO NOT do this and do not use anyone who would do it for you.

I have some bi-focal safety glasses like you describe and I found that I did not use them consistently enough. I figured it was worth the money to protect the only set of eyes I've got and also to protect myself from myself.

Steven Wilson
06-03-2007, 3:05 PM
I went from no glasses to trifocals when I turned 40. I tried bifocal safety glasses and I don't like in the shop as the bifocal line tends to be in a critical area for working on the tablesaw. Now I have a pair of prescription safety glasses that are set for my distance needs. This works well and is natural for almost all my shop needs. When I need closeup magnification I use an optivisor. Another alternative are the Optx 20/20 reading lenses. The come in various diopters and the lenses stick to your glasses. The neat thing is that you can trim them to be much smaller and you can position them anywhere you want. A mechanic friend of mine has them on the upper portion of his saftey glasses because he is often doing close up work under a lift and needs the magnification when he looks up.

Thomas Canfield
06-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks for replies. I have checked at Lee Valley and they have the stick-on and also some "Pocket Glasses" that clamp on the nose that might work. Both look to have a bit larger area, and the stick-on could defitely be located in the "sweet spot" for viewing tool work. I may wait until after the follow-up exam and get the "official" recommendation from my doctor. Any other suggestions are still welcome.

Jude Kingery
06-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Hey Thomas,

I just did the tri-focal safety glasses prescription - work exceptionally well and have the side shields, rated and all that. Just went to my optometrist. They cost a bit of a pretty penny, but I am very satisfied with them, can see anything I like at any angle, distance and also have the protection afforded thereof. Best wishes. Jude