PDA

View Full Version : Opinons/experience with these two planers wanted

Rich Engelhardt
06-03-2007, 7:44 AM
Hello,
Amazon has the DeWalt DW 734 on special right now for $228.07. By using an Amazon business Visa it knocks off an additional $30.00 plus DeWalt has a $40.00 rebate on this planer.
Online reviews of it are spotty to bad, with most of the negatives centered on poor life of the blades and high cost of replacement blades.
Still for a final cost of $158.07 (w/out shipping), I'm considering it.

The other one amazon has is the Makita 2012NB for $282.37.
I know nothiing about this planer other than it's a Makita, and Makita generally builds a good product.

Whichever/whatever I get is for occasional use, probably with mostly soft wood, but I can't rule out a piece or two or twenty of Oak won't find it's way under the knives.

Keith Cope
06-03-2007, 7:58 AM
Rich,

Amazon also has the small Delta planers--I bought a 12-1/2" planer (single speed model) and have been pretty happy with it.

Keith

John Hemenway
06-03-2007, 9:50 AM
I've got one and love it. Don't know about knife life problems. I just went to the second side of the first set after processing all the lyptus for my kitchen face frames, doors and drawer fronts. I'm not sure they needed flipping, but I figured I'd gotten enough milage out of them.

Lyptus seems about as hard as oak. It sure is a lot heaver!!

Mike Heidrick
06-03-2007, 9:54 AM
I own the 734. It is loud - but that is the case with any lunchbox. Other than that it is great. In fact with the new big planer arriving I do not plan to sell the 734 at all. It only has one speed but I have not had any issues at all with mine. The Dust hood works great with a HFDC and you will be suprised how good the build quality the 734 is. At that price buy two because I doubt you will see them that cheap ever again. I paid more than that for mine and it was used.

Joe Spear
06-03-2007, 10:52 AM
I used to have the Delta 13" 2-spd. It worked fine, except for changing the feed speed (which seems to be a common problem with that planer). I got a good deal on the Makita. It had excellent reviews, so I bought it and sold the Delta. The Makita planes very well, as did the Delta, but it is much lighter. Since I work in a garage and have to move my tools around, that makes it easier for me. The DeWalt is also good. The Makita is a 12"; the Delta was a 13". I've missed the extra inch only a couple times in the past year. Anything less than $300 for the Makia is a really good deal.

Dewayne Reding
06-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Rich

I've got the DW734. Only had it six months. I'm still on the first set of blades so I don't know how long they last. I like it. Snipe is minimal. It was a gift, but I'm sure my wife paid at least $350 for it. It's a no brainer at the price you are quoting.

Tim Dorcas
06-03-2007, 12:14 PM
I have the DW 734 and it does a fantastic job. I do agree with the short life of the blades however.

glenn bradley
06-03-2007, 12:17 PM
I must have missed the poor reviews. I am on the flip side of the first set of knives and that is only because I nicked 'something'. Going on 2 years and it's just about time for a change out. I just finished using the planer actually. Just ran about 100 BF through it and came in for a break.

I really like the planer and would buy again. If I could afford it I would go DW735. I couldn't and here I am but very happy. Loud? Yes, it's a lunch box. Knives? I just picked up 3 sets at a warehouse clearance outfit for $24 a set. Normal price is twice that but deals do come along. I'm thinking as I write this . . . maybe I shoulda got 6 sets. . . (?).

Todd Jensen
06-03-2007, 3:47 PM
I have had both, and returned 2 of the Makitas before going with the Dewalt. It has worked great, minimal snipe, and I run a lot of bent laminated cove, treads, and rail through it(dry titebond 2 bubbles everywhere). All of this glue hasn't gummed up my rollers or hurt the blades. The dust collection, when used with my 1 hp Jet dust collector, is awesome. I can run it in a closed garage with a dust mask on, and it is amazing how well it works. The one thing I found to help the operation of this planer, and solve a complaint that I've read about with the rollers, is that it wasn't the rollers at all. Wax your table, infeed/outfeed, etc, and you'll be amazed how smooth everything works and how great the rollers work.

Rich Engelhardt
06-04-2007, 6:57 AM
Hello,
Thanks for all the positives.
I'll give the DeWalt a go.