PDA

View Full Version : Dollhouse/Bookshelf

Greg Scott
01-08-2004, 9:08 AM
This is a piece that I made for our niece for Christmas. My wife saw a picture of something similar in the Pottery Barn magazine for arount $350.00. I thought I could make it just a tad cheaper than that and this is the end result. The top is cherry with walnut inlays. The walnut inlays were my way to coverup the screws that hold the top in place. The ridge of the roof has a spline that connects the two pieces together. The painted parts were some pine that I picked up at an auction for cheap.

Thanks for looking
Greg

Dick Parr
01-08-2004, 9:40 AM
Very Nice! I also like making something from a picture.

Steve Inniss
01-08-2004, 9:52 AM
Greg,
Wonderful project, even inlays on the base.

The best is seeing it fully loaded with imagination. -Steve

Chad Pater
01-08-2004, 10:41 AM
I like it. I've started to formulate plans in my head for a dollhouse for my 11 month old daughter.

Paul Smith
01-08-2004, 11:15 AM
Absolutely wonderful idea!!! I have a little girl due anytime in the next several weeks. I'll have to keep this in mind for a couple years down the road. Any little girl would love to have it! Nice work, you can really see the love in it.

Dan Stuewe
01-08-2004, 12:12 PM
Very nice! Now I know for certain that I won't be posting pictures of the one I've been working on (or not working on) for over a year!

Jim Hill 2
01-08-2004, 12:28 PM
I see we have the same problem. My wife also receives the Pottery Barn Kids catalog and has pointed out this very bookshelf to me. Luckily we do not have kinds yet and I'll be sure and NOT tell her about the incredible job you did. Keep up the great work!

Jim

Kevin Beck
01-08-2004, 1:21 PM
Nice, very nice. Thanks Greg now I'm on the hook to build one for my 5 year old daughter. As soon as my back recovers from the 1200 sq. ft. of ceramic tile I'll get right on it.

It will be worth it as soon as my 5 year old sees it though.

Thanks for posting your fine work.

Kevin

Brad Hammond
01-08-2004, 1:27 PM
very cool..............i just recieved an email myself with the exact picture from a friend who wants me to whip something up..........lol
great job!!

Charles McKinley
01-09-2004, 2:02 AM
Great Job Greg!

How did you attach the shelves and the dividers?

I plan on using biscuits.

PB prices kill me. If you go to their web site almost everything is made on MDF! LOML has about 5 things picked out to be made. I have the proto type of the shelves aout done.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Tom Hintz
01-09-2004, 5:25 AM
VERY cool!
I love the walnut accents.
This is such a good idea I can't believe I haven't seen something like it before.
I'll bet the niece is really happy with her uncle!

Good job.

Greg Scott
01-09-2004, 8:07 AM
Charles,
Just screwed the shelves from the outside and used plugs to fill the holes. I figured since it was being painted it would not be seen anyway.
Greg

Great Job Greg!

How did you attach the shelves and the dividers?

I plan on using biscuits.

PB prices kill me. If you go to their web site almost everything is made on MDF! LOML has about 5 things picked out to be made. I have the proto type of the shelves aout done.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Michael Shier
01-09-2004, 10:06 AM
This is a piece that I made for our niece for Christmas. My wife saw a picture of something similar in the Pottery Barn magazine for arount $350.00.

My grandaughter brought me a photo from a catalog of this horse barn and asked if I could make it for her. What could I say?! All pine except the upper floor which was made of a piece of 1/4" maple ply that sitting around. The siding and roofing were sliced form some clear 2x4s. Was fun but time consuming.

Michael

Daniel Rabinovitz
01-09-2004, 10:17 AM
Greg and Michael
Well - those two pieces are just GREAT.
the bookcase is wonderfully functional and the horse barn is an ideal play station for young creative minds.
Best regards
Daniel
:cool: