PDA

View Full Version : Solid End Box Elder Burl

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
06-02-2007, 11:26 PM
Hi,

This is a solid end box elder burl on a Jr Statesman fountain pen.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/donationjimjen2.jpg

I call it a HF for pen turners:cool:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/donationjimjen1.jpg

Critiques are requested and appreciated please:)

Pete Jordan
06-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Just gorgous!

Dennis Peacock
06-02-2007, 11:38 PM
Hey Jim.....

That one's just too purdy to have around your place. You really should send that one to me. A real beauty that is for sure!!! :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
06-02-2007, 11:40 PM
Jim that is a real beauty. Mighty fine looking pen.

Tom Sherman
06-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Yessir Jim that's one purdy pen.

Martin Shupe
06-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Wow! That's a beautiful pen.

I have several questions.

Where do you get that particular pen kit? Is it a hard kit to make? (I ask because my only experience is with slimlines from Berea, and only a dozen or so of those.)

What is your finishing schedule?

Did you dye the burl, or is that the natural color?

Whatever you did, it sure turned out fantastic!

Thanks for posting, and answering questions.

Jonathon Spafford
06-03-2007, 1:28 AM
That pen is awesome looking! The burl is simply stunning! What finish did you use... It looks perfect for this pen! Awesome work!

Gary Herrmann
06-03-2007, 9:24 AM
Very nice Jim. I've been meaning to look into solid end pens. Very elegant.

Steve Schlumpf
06-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Jim, once again you post some absolutely beautiful work! This has to be one of the best looking pens I've seen! Outstanding!

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
06-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Thanks every one,

I really do enjoy making pens, they are fun for me. I know there are some pen makers out there who are way better than myself, I know becasue I have seen their work. But like any type of turning for me it's about sharing and learning and allowing others to become better, then we all do to.

My pens are just a combination of decent kits with good pen blanks, some turning skills and attention to shape and finish.

The kits I but are almost all from Craft Supply, for my money they make the best quality kits at the higher end of plating options. For some people the cost of a higher end kit is not what they like, I do look for hardware that represents my tastes and that is attractive for those who might want to buy my work.

I worked a long time to find that turning with a skew changed my results dramatically, the surface finish after the skew only requires surface finishing with Micromesh.

I found a repeatable finish I like and materials that work with it so I stay with those materials, mostly stabilized woods, plastic resins and acrylics.

I wet Sand with MM from 1500-12000, at 500 rpm, wiping the blank clean between sheets. I then use a plastic polish like Novus 2 to remove scratches. On stabilized woods I then use a Lee Valley microcrystaline wax called Conservators Wax, plastics I leave after the plastic polish.

Every one has their own way of finishing, that is my way...some like CA finishes, Lacquer etc....I like it simple, fast and durable.

Hope that helps..

Jim Becker
06-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Great material selection, Jim! Once again, you picked the chunk that works really well for this small-scale work...something that makes your pens exquisite!

Ken LaSota
06-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Jim great work as usual. I like the style and colors.
Ken

dennis kranz
06-03-2007, 1:19 PM
That is a great looking pen.
Dennis

Nancy Laird
06-03-2007, 1:28 PM
Jim, that's a beautiful pen and a fantastic piece of wood.

For the record, CSUSA gets "most" of their pen kits from Berea, who also supplies Arizona Silhouette and other retailers. You can order directly from Berea, if you are so inclined, http://www.bereahardwoods.com/new/index.cfm.

Nancy

Shane Whitlock
06-03-2007, 4:21 PM
Thats a beauty Jim! Love the Box Elder.

I have never turned a pen, never really been interested in it, that is until I saw this beautirul one. Showed the post to LOML, see loved it and said I could go ahead and order a manderal and the other goodies to get started :D

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
06-03-2007, 6:16 PM
Jim, that's a beautiful pen and a fantastic piece of wood.

For the record, CSUSA gets "most" of their pen kits from Berea, who also supplies Arizona Silhouette and other retailers. You can order directly from Berea, if you are so inclined, http://www.bereahardwoods.com/new/index.cfm.

Nancy

Thanks Nancy,

I appreciate your kind comments.

I have been aware of who sells what when it comes to pens for some time.:)

Being that I live in Canada we are limited to what US suppliers we can buy from and who are willing to ship to Canada (AzS will not ship to Canada for example).

There are a few Berea and even Pen State retailers in Canada, but CSUSA has exclusive designs that are supplied to only them from thier far east suppliers.

I used to buy some Berea kist, but none really work for me, having my name on a pen at a craft show also means it's going to advertise my name, nothing does that better than the platinum kits from CSUSA. For the few extra dollars they charge they go along way in making my customers happy..:)