PDA

View Full Version : Textured Acacia

Mike Vickery
06-02-2007, 5:06 PM
This is a 10 1/4 x 3 piece of Acacia that I textured inside and out. the finish is Watco Danish oil buffed with a shoe shine brush.

Get ready to cringe the wall thickness is 1 inch.

Critiques are welcome.

Tony De Masi
06-02-2007, 5:28 PM
Mike,

No negatives from me on this piece, not even the wall thickness. I do however love how the inside of the bowl is a great reminder of the VORTEX that comes with turning.

Very well executed.

Tony

Steve Schlumpf
06-02-2007, 5:58 PM
Mike - I like it! It's one of those bowls you just have to pick up! Really nice work!

Question for you: What did you use to compress your photos? I just posted on a dust collection thread and my photos do not enlarge like yours do even though they about the same size. Just wondering..

Nancy Laird
06-02-2007, 6:01 PM
Steve, PIXresizer is a great program for resizing your pictures. You need to download and install PIXresizer, a free software program available at this website: http://bluefive.pair.com/free95.htm (http://bluefive.pair.com/free95.htm).

Scroll towards the bottom of the page to find the link to download PIXresizer.

Works like a charm!!!

Nancy

Mike Vickery
06-02-2007, 6:55 PM
Question for you: What did you use to compress your photos? I just posted on a dust collection thread and my photos do not enlarge like yours do even though they about the same size. Just wondering..

http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

It is called paint.net I use it to do all of my photo editing and it is free. Gimp is another really good free program though a little harder to use.

Keith Burns
06-02-2007, 8:17 PM
Mike, you've outdone yourself with this one !! I absolutely love it !!!!

Steve Schlumpf
06-02-2007, 9:36 PM
Thanks Mike, I'll have to figure what I am doing that is different than everyone else. Nancy, I currently use Pixresizer and it works fine - but there is a huge difference between what I post and what it enlarges too. As an example - whenI click on one of Mike's photos it enlarges to fill the entire screen. Click on one of mine and is fills maybe 1/5 of the screen. Would like to have the photo fill the page so everyone can see what in the heck I am trying to show them!

Bernie Weishapl
06-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Mike that is a great looking bowl. I really like the texture. It just makes you want to pick it up. Nice job.

Paul Engle
06-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Nice Mike , the " heft " looks great and if ya drop it it is not likely to blow apart.

Tom Sherman
06-02-2007, 11:23 PM
That's a good un Mike, love the wood and the work.

Travis Stinson
06-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Very cool Mike! That's one way to get out of sanding. :D ;)

Kevin McPeek
06-03-2007, 1:19 AM
^^ What he said :)

I like it, and with the texturing you can really use the thick rim.
Personally I like bowls a little on the thick side, maybe it's the utilitarian in me, or just because I think there is too much hype in turning thin.

Jonathon Spafford
06-03-2007, 1:30 AM
For this bowl it wouldn't look good thin, IMHO! It looks gorgeous as it is! The swirling pattern is just awesome! Great work!

Christopher K. Hartley
06-03-2007, 6:10 AM
Thanks Mike, I'll have to figure what I am doing that is different than everyone else. Nancy, I currently use Pixresizer and it works fine - but there is a huge difference between what I post and what it enlarges too. As an example - whenI click on one of Mike's photos it enlarges to fill the entire screen. Click on one of mine and is fills maybe 1/5 of the screen. Would like to have the photo fill the page so everyone can see what in the heck I am trying to show them!Steve see if you can set your resize to 800 X 600 and compress to 65% then upload.

Mike, Great Bowl I like the finish and form. A shoe brush? Now that's one I would never have thought of.

George Van
06-03-2007, 7:20 AM
Nice bowl Mike, the texturing and bowl thickness fit together well. I would think the heft is appropriate for the form!

Ken LaSota
06-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Nice work Mike I like the texturing .
KEn

Curt Fuller
06-03-2007, 12:02 PM
Mike, that's a beauty! I like the heavy look to it and the texturing looks really sharp. Great combination.

Jim Becker
06-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Nothing wrong with the 1" wall thickness, Mike...it's appropriate for this piece...maybe even essential. Beautiful work!

Mike Vickery
06-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. The one thing I would have changed on this would be to decrease the angle of the beveled rim. It is a little to much for my taste. Though I am very happy with the piece.

Travis - It did cut down on my sanding but it was still sanded. Not sure if it matters but my thought is the oil darkens the area that was cut with textureing tool but not as much on the sanded surface. It makes the swirls stand out more. Just a theory though I might try the next one with no sanding.