PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Dust Collection

David Hoefler
06-02-2007, 4:44 PM
I've just purchased a dust collector, built a hood and tried it out behind my lathe. Seems all the chips and dust are thrown foreward and not back. So, I have to figure out a way to locate the dust intake in front without it getting in the way.

Anyone have any suggestions and/or pictures of their solution? :confused:

Obviously this is a new thing for me. Before this I have been ankle deep in shavings and when, sanding, sneezing a lot.

Dennis Peacock
06-02-2007, 5:07 PM
David,

Most "dust" collection at the lathe is best served when sanding. To get the wood dust and some of the shavings, you need a DC setup that moves a LOT of air (CFM). Unfortunately, there's not a very effective way to capture the lathe curls that come off while turning. I just use a shovel to get them off the floor and put them in the garden in the summer or use them to start the wood fire in the winter. IMHO, trying to capture all the curls/chips that come from the turning process is a lot like trying to heard cats. :rolleyes: :D

Tony De Masi
06-02-2007, 5:26 PM
I would have to agree with Dennis. Remember it's a DUST collector and not a shavings collector. With 4" hoses and a turn in the line somewhere the shavings will get caught up. Save the collector for your sanding and use a snow shovel to clean up the floor.

Tony

Jude Kingery
06-02-2007, 5:36 PM
Hey David,

No, I don't worry about the shavings either, but when sanding run the dust collector right underneath the lathe, but out of the way of the turning. My husband put the end of the hose and little vacuum hood on like a camera or spotlight tri-pod that we can adjust up and down and move around behind or underneath the work. Just a suggestion, works pretty well for us. Good luck! Jude

Bill Wyko
06-02-2007, 5:50 PM
I would think you could put it under the lathe with some sort of troff. Set it so it goes in place of the biggest pile of shavings under the lathe. CFM is definatly the key though. In my fiberglass area of my old shop we used an old swamp cooler but used it in reverse. It pulled through a hood at the back of a table and exhausted outside. The cooler pads were actually the filters. The intake on the cooler was the draw and the output was the exhaust.

Steve Schlumpf
06-02-2007, 5:52 PM
David

My shop is located in the basement and it is carpeted - dust/chip collection is a must for me. I don't use a hood, just the 4" hose and have found through trial and error that you can collect the bulk of the shavings while turning as long as you have the hose positioned correctly. I should also point out that I use one of those separators and the chips stay in a 30 gallon trash can while the dust is captured by the dust collector.

Hopefully the following 2 photos help explain where I place the hose for spindle or faceplate work.

Oh, I use bungee cords to hold the DC hose in place.

65697 65698

David Hoefler
06-02-2007, 6:20 PM
for your comments and Steve for your pictures. The idea of some sort of adjustable trough under the work perhaps. Made from a section of 4 or 5 inch PVC cut on the bandsaw to shape. Maybe a "T" shape. If I come up with a good solution I will post it. My DC is 650 cfm.

:)

Paul Engle
06-02-2007, 10:31 PM
Dave , I have an 1100 cfm and run the hose just like Steve does , i tried a " plastic plumbling " pipe for a nozzle but it hit a 150$ bowl and I went back to just the 4in flex tube , works well also the lead to the collector ( which is outside) is only 8 feet total length to the lathe and that helps keep the velocity up.If you go over 20 feet the amps go up and the air speed drops,Just a thought Dave, dont forget to ground wire the outside if plastic , static charge could bite you :eek: , also run a copper wire inside and connect it to the outside and get a good ground. does not have to be fancy but will make you a bit safer.

David Hoefler
06-03-2007, 9:48 AM
I tried the setup Steve suggested and it worked well. So well I don't feel the need to try anything else. My DC can be moved around and since I only use one machine at a time I can keep the flex tube run short, around 8 feet.

Thanks Steve and all. :)

Steve Schlumpf
06-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Dave, I'm glad to hear things will work out for you! I also have a 650 cfm DC and find that the separator makes a huge difference in how often I have to clean out the DC. Lots easier to just grab the trash can and empty it. Just something else for you to check out.

George Van
06-03-2007, 3:38 PM
It didn't cost enough money to build the workshop and buy all the tools but now I have to buy carpet also!;)

Steven Wilson
06-03-2007, 5:34 PM
I have a large lathe hood fabricated that I locate behind my lathe, it then goes to 5" flex and a 6" main to the cyclone DC. It works very well for sanding, turning cork (fishing rod handles), and some spindle work. For all other work (especially hollowing) just let the chips fall where they want and shovel them up)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27876&d=1135099352

Frank Guerin
06-03-2007, 9:17 PM
The life styles of the rich and famous. Whimper. I don't even own a lathe just wishing, but the bar keeps being raise higher.

Mark Pruitt
06-04-2007, 9:03 AM
Here's how it was explained to me, and it makes perfect sense IMHO.
Using a DC to collect shavings is inefficient, even if it can be somehow rigged for 90%+ collection. The reason being, the DC cannister quickly fills up and you have to stop turning and go empty the cannister. It's much easier to use a snow shovel, scoop it up, and throw it out.

Like Dennis said, it's during sanding procedures that you really need DC at the lathe, and that's as simple as securing a 4" hose in close proximity to the workpiece.

Kurt Whitley
06-04-2007, 11:37 AM
I'd much rather shovel the shavings than have to empty my collector more frequently.
Your objective should be to collect the fine dust that can float up and into your sinuses and lungs.

I'd get rid of the carpet or at least lay down some matting. However, I find chips thrown 10' from the lathe and know pros can shoot them out 20' or better.

Some have set up a shower curtain around their lathe to control where the shavings will end up.

Cheers,
Kurt