PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with Punky Wood

Ken Genovese
06-01-2007, 11:24 PM
I have turned some River Birch and ran into punky wood. No matter what I try to smooth it out it fails. What do you do in these situations?

Bernie Weishapl
06-01-2007, 11:29 PM
I had the same problem with spalted maple. They told me to use a wood hardener such as Minwax Wood Hardener. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but definitely will give it a try. By the way welcome to SMC. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge.

Matt Haus
06-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Ken,

I can't believe you asking this question as I am looking for the same answer tonight. I have some spalted maple and would like to harden the soft areas. I have read that you can use a 50-50 mix of laquer and thinner and let it dry. Make sure the wood is dry first. I have also read that sanding sealer works. Anyone know where to get it? CA glue works but the piece I am working on right now is too big for that.

I hope someone can answer.:(

Bonnie Campbell
06-02-2007, 12:06 AM
I used the minwax hardener. Not cheap, but I painted it on until it quit soaking in. Hardened the wood up really nice.

Chip Sutherland
06-02-2007, 12:28 AM
Small cases, CA worked. Larger cases I used thinned shellac. But minwax hardener is the best solution

Ken Genovese
06-02-2007, 2:33 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I'll try the wood hardener and let you know how it worked. This is one Great Site.

Bill Wyko
06-02-2007, 3:48 PM
I'm curious too how the hardener works. Because if it doesn't work it's gonna be firewood.

Dennis Peacock
06-02-2007, 4:26 PM
If it's pretty punky wood, saturate it with a 1 pound cut of dewaxed shellac and let dry over night. All you really need is something to stiffen the wood fibers enough to make them stay where they need to be and all the rest of be cut cleaning. A good sharp, honed tool edge and light cut(s) should result is a nice clean surface. Even polyurethane thinned 70% with mineral spirits and let dry for 24 hours will work.

As stated earlier...if it's a small local area on the turning, then thin CA will do the trick as well.

John Shuk
06-02-2007, 8:18 PM
Another vote for the wood hardener by Minwax. Readily available (Home Depot) and works well.

Matt Haus
06-02-2007, 9:18 PM
I tried the hardener today and it worked pretty well. I also bought some water based sanding sealer and applied that too. I tried the wood hardner first and it was still pretty soft. So I let it sit. I had turned it a little and removed the surface coats. I then applied the water base stuff and let it sit for 30 minutes. It cut pretty well. I sharpened my ellsworth grind and took several light sheer cuts. I was able to get it to the point that I could start with 80 grit and work my way up. It hardened the wood so that it sanded pretty well to 800 grit. I am satisfied with the minwax.

Matt

Steve Schlumpf
06-02-2007, 9:40 PM
For what it's worth I have come across numerous posts where people use a 50/50 mix of yellow glue and water. Like Dennis stated - just something to stiffen up the wood fibers.