PDA

View Full Version : $14.99 - 24" Bessey K-Body Knock-Offs @ HF

John Mooney
06-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Thought others might be interested...

My local Harbor Freight had their Pittsburgh 24" Parallel Cabinet Clamps on sale this weekend for $14.99. They had been on closeout for $25.99 for the last couple of months.

Took them home and compared with with my Bessey's and visually (including the internals) they are virtually identical in every way. I know tool quality varies at HF but I've always had good luck with their Pittsburgh line and this clamp seems like a winner.

Mike Heidrick
06-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Are they a true 90 degree right angle?

John Mooney
06-01-2007, 11:51 PM
Yes, first thing I checked.

Jay Keller
06-02-2007, 2:39 AM
I have 4 of the Pittsburg parrallel clamps and I also have the Bessey cabinet set. There are virtually identical. The Pittsburgs have a nicer metal handle.

Kyle Kraft
06-02-2007, 4:15 PM
HF just opened a new store in Kalamazoo. I visited it recently but didn't see the K-Body knock-offs there. Maybe I should go back for a closer look.

Brian Myers
06-02-2007, 5:11 PM
When clamps go on sale at my local HF , you need to be there on the first sale day to get them. Clamps seem to be the first sale items to sell through. Not to mention the employees are never in a hurry to restock the shelves.

Jason White
06-02-2007, 7:56 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they're made in the same factory as the "Woodcraft-Bessey" clamps sold in Woodcraft stores. They're technically made by Bessey -- but instead of Germany, they're made in India. I've heard people say the quality of the India-made knock-offs is not as good as the original K-Body clamps made in Germany.

TP

Thought others might be interested...

My local Harbor Freight had their Pittsburgh 24" Parallel Cabinet Clamps on sale this weekend for $14.99. They had been on closeout for $25.99 for the last couple of months.

Took them home and compared with with my Bessey's and visually (including the internals) they are virtually identical in every way. I know tool quality varies at HF but I've always had good luck with their Pittsburgh line and this clamp seems like a winner.

Chuck Lenz
06-02-2007, 8:00 PM
In most cases you get what you pay for, or less.

Scott Sur
06-07-2007, 11:59 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they're made in the same factory as the "Woodcraft-Bessey" clamps sold in Woodcraft stores. They're technically made by Bessey -- but instead of Germany, they're made in India. I've heard people say the quality of the India-made knock-offs is not as good as the original K-Body clamps made in Germany.

TP

A ridiculous ascertion.

Anthony Anderson
06-08-2007, 2:22 AM
Welcome Scott. Hope you like it here. Was wondering though, your response "A ridiculous ascertation" was in response to Jason's post, if you would care to elaborate? What exactly did Jason state "ascertain" did you feel was ridiculous. All due respect. Bill

A ridiculous ascertion.

Jude Tuliszewski
06-08-2007, 3:11 PM
I looked at them as well. JMO, but the design is the same but they are not as good a quality as Bessey clamps. Would they be good for GP use, yes. Personally I prefer one good clamp instead of good clamps and so-so clamps of the same size and type. My experience with HF is that most of the stuff is you get what you pay for. Is there a place for cheaper made stuff, sure there is, but not every place, if you get my meaning. This is just my opinion, and no disrespect to those who have HF stuff (I have HF stuff).

Jay Keller
06-08-2007, 3:26 PM
I looked at them as well. JMO, but the design is the same but they are not as good a quality as Bessey clamps. Would they be good for GP use, yes. Personally I prefer one good clamp instead of good clamps and so-so clamps of the same size and type. My experience with HF is that most of the stuff is you get what you pay for. Is there a place for cheaper made stuff, sure there is, but not every place, if you get my meaning. This is just my opinion, and no disrespect to those who have HF stuff (I have HF stuff).

there is no functional difference between the two. The handles are better on the HF version as they are metal

Jay Keller
06-08-2007, 3:27 PM

define quality......do you mean the color?

Curt Harms
06-09-2007, 6:11 AM
I checked one for square with a store square before buying them. Should have checked both. With one I can't say any daylight with a 6" square between the fixed head and rail. The second clamp I can see daylight, not a much but a few thousandths. I wonder how good is good enough with these things? Yes, the HF clamps are made in India.

FWIW

Curt