PDA

View Full Version : First post

Rick Dohm
06-01-2007, 11:14 PM
I have been lurking for a while now and soaking up as much collective knowledge as I can. It's fun to see folks agree or even disagree in good humor.

My next purchase in building up my shop is a planer. I am looking at Woodmaster on account of some of the posts from other Creekers (and because they are on sale through June at about half-price). Just wondering if those who have them might comment on the model they use and in particular whether they use the Pro-Pack attachments. Also, can the router platform serve satisfactorily as a substitute for a router table? I know it can be very unhandy converting machines from one use to another, but it's cheaper than and space-saving over dedicated machines. Also, has anyone used Woodmaster's dust collecting systems. Can't seem to find any reviews on them.

And by the way, what the heck is "the borg" anyway ...is this Star Trek site too? :D

Mike Cutler
06-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Rick.

Can't help ya' on the WoodMaster stuff. I have a Jet 15" planer. The Woodmaster seems to be very well regarded though.

Mostly. I just wanted to welcome you to SawMill Creek. Pleased to meet ya'

BORG. Big Orange Retail Giant, better known as.... Home Depot.;)

Jim Grill
06-02-2007, 12:54 AM
I just like Star Trek.

Q: Do you know how to get rid of the borg?
A: Antibionics

Dave MacArthur
06-02-2007, 12:54 AM
Welcome, from one new forumeer to another ;)
Also there is the "Blue BORG" = Lowes.

Mike Heidrick
06-02-2007, 1:21 AM
Did you see the 718 in the for sale section with the pro pack?

Kyle Kraft
06-02-2007, 4:18 PM
Don't forget the multi-colored BORG where you "save big money"...Menards.

Joe Chritz
06-02-2007, 8:11 PM
Welcome.

Can't give you personal experience with woodmaster but a sander/planer is on my short list. I can't recall hearing anything negative about them.

I don't know anything about woodmaster dust collection. After the service and quality I received from Oneida when setting up a cyclone (Super dust gorilla) I strongly suggest a call to them when setting up a system.

Joe

Rick Dohm
06-02-2007, 8:48 PM
Thanks for the borg info. I now feel totally assimilated! Resistance was futile anyway!

Joe, I was actually planning on the Super Gorilla DC from Oneida until I saw the 5hp 1ph unit from Woodmaster -- with 4500CFM vs. SG's 1700+/- (way better) but their filter is spec'ed at 4 microns (not as good). Does the larger particle size allow better airflow, or is the difference in the test configuration, say maybe no static pressure vs. assembled unit pressure? Anyway, at only $895, it's tempting.

Appreciate all your responses. One can never know too much.

Joe Chritz
06-03-2007, 10:37 AM
A quick search should find you tons of info on dust collection. I am just on my way out to speak to a neighbor about a loose dog killing one of my ducks or I would search it out for ya.

Generally check the impeller size and rpms. A given impeller at a give speed will only pull so much air. Larger motors only help if the impeller is bigger. There are different measures of how much it is pulling. Lots of it was greek to me.

FWIW the 3HP Super Gorilla is more than I need and the shop 24x32 with several runs.

Joe