PDA

View Full Version : White Oak Dresser and Changing table Project Photos- Finished!

Jeff Heil
06-01-2007, 9:13 PM
I finished the dresser I built for my son's room. He was born 5/23/07, so it was almost done on time. :)

The changing table top is removable when he gets older.

White Oak was the primary wood with poplar as a secondary wood. The faceframe was assembled with sliding dovetails.

I built all the drawers from 4/4 stock and dovetailed them front and back with my Leigh D4. The drawer bottoms cabinet back and dust frames are 1/4" baltic birch. The inset drawers slide on wood glides.

I finished with an oil stain and many coats of wipe on satin poly. I rubbed the poly out with 0000 steel wool and applied a coat of wax.

The design was influenced by Stickley's Harvey Ellis 7 drawer dresser and we made our own design to fit his room. The drawers are approx10", 9" and 8" tall from the bottom up. The copper hardware is from Rocklr.

The dresser is 52"Wx34"Hx22"D. I will be building a matching bookshelf when I am less sleep deprived.

Jeff

Bruce Page
06-01-2007, 9:26 PM
Jeff, congratulations on your newborn son!

That is a very nice dresser/changing table.

glenn bradley
06-01-2007, 9:37 PM
That's a real nice looking piece. That'll last through your next four kids and get passed on to them when they're ready to have theirs.

Jim Becker
06-01-2007, 9:39 PM
Beautiful work and congratulations on the new addition to your family!!

Debbie Battaglia
06-01-2007, 10:02 PM
congratulations on your new baby boy!! the dresser is really beautiful. smart design, too.

Joe Chritz
06-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Ditto ditto.

We can expect to see you checking the creek about every 4 hours or so????

Enjoy

Joe

Dave MacArthur
06-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Very nice work, and congrats on your son! That piece looks better than anything I saw in any store, both in design and execution!

Jeff Heil
06-02-2007, 2:52 AM
Ditto ditto.

We can expect to see you checking the creek about every 4 hours or so????

Enjoy

Joe

Just wanted to let you know you were right Joe. Up in about four hours since my last post. One poopy diaper changed, baby with mama for a snack and I am up reading the creek.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words, this was truely a labor of love.

Jeff