PDA

View Full Version : Where should I go in Berea, KY?

Von Bickley
06-01-2007, 8:52 PM
I will be in Berea, KY on Saturday, June 9th. Any suggestions on what to do or where to go?

Thanks for any suggestions....

Jim Young
06-01-2007, 9:07 PM
Isn't Pleasant Hill near Berea? That's the Shaker community/village.

Roger Bell
06-01-2007, 9:24 PM
There are a number of WW related offering in Berea. You can easily spend the entire day at Pleasant Hill....down the road aways. Plan on a long afternoon at minimum to make it worthwhile. Brian Boggs has employees giving tours of his shop and operation. He has some cool vintage machines. There is a mandolin maker right downtown. Kelly Mehler and his School is somewhere just outside Berea (havent been myself).

You may wish to inquire ahead if you want to visit Kelly or Brian. I know Brian's tours require scheduling and are twice daily as I recall.

There is also a large gallery out on the Interstate just outside town than features lots of handmade stuff of various kinds. When I was there I met Don Weber, the bodger, demonstrating his spring pole lathe.

I stayed at the Boone Tavern...an historic inn right downtown. Much nicer and more elegant than your typical franchise motel while not too expensive. If you dont stay there, plan on having a meal there.

Roy Wall
06-01-2007, 9:48 PM
I believe Kelley Mehler's school of woodworking is in Berea!!!

Nancy Laird
06-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Von, go to this site: http://www.berea.com/ and you'll find all you ever wanted to know about Berea. The place is full of artisans of all sorts, so you won't be bored!

Nancy

Martin Shupe
06-02-2007, 2:45 AM
Kelly prefers not to have "drop ins". If you want to see him, you need to call ahead. Also, if school is in session, you probably won't be able to drop by, as it would interrupt class.

Brain Boggs is well worth your time. Even if you can't get a tour, there are demo chairs to sit in and try out.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
06-02-2007, 2:48 PM
Ditto on Kelly, I was in Berea last year this time. I called Kelly in advanced and he was welcoming of a visit later in that day, we had a grand time.

I also spent a day at Pleasant Hill, easily one of the best days I have ever spent touring a historical site, it was impressive, devote a full day there. The lunch there was ecellent.

I also visited Brian Boggs in Berea, a short visit but well worth the time....also stopped in on Warren May, a furniture and dulcimer maker on the main street, ..I spent nearly 3 hours touring the main part of town visiting shops, having a great lunch and enkoying the town.....A wonderful memory!

:D

J. Greg Jones
06-02-2007, 3:20 PM
If you run out of places to visit, you could swing by my new house and see if it is ready for our walk-through and closing on the 14th! As has been mentioned, there are plenty of great people and places in the area and we are really looking forward to our move there.

Martin Shupe
06-02-2007, 5:55 PM
If you run out of places to visit, you could swing by my new house and see if it is ready for our walk-through and closing on the 14th! As has been mentioned, there are plenty of great people and places in the area and we are really looking forward to our move there.

OK, now I'm jealous. That would be a great place to live, too bad it is so far from a major airport.

I've always missed Warren May's place, perhaps I can see it in July.

Pleasant Hill is a great place to visit, you need at least half a day, and more if you like the Shaker style.

Anyone else going to CH Becksvoort's clock class?

Joe Meazle
06-02-2007, 6:37 PM
Don Weber is over in Paint Lick about 10 miles away. Well worth the short trip.

http://www.handcraftwoodworks.com/

Steve Flinchum
06-02-2007, 11:42 PM
All the guys are right. My son goes to school at the college there and I hang out around there some, myself. Berea is an awsome place and Pleasant Hill is one of my most favorite places to visit. I have stopped by Don's place in Paint Lick on several occasions and it is always a pleasure. You might check ahead and see if Don's going to be around or busy, he has alot going on. Check out his web site; you can google it. Check out all of the shops around Boone Tavern and in Old Towne; and the Artisians Center out by the interstate.
Enjoy.

Steve

Reg Mitchell
06-03-2007, 12:06 AM
I believe Kelley Mehler's school of woodworking is in Berea!!!
Yep and that's where I'll be in July
Reg

Martin Shupe
06-03-2007, 12:12 AM
Yep and that's where I'll be in July
Reg

Which class?

Reg Mitchell
06-03-2007, 12:24 AM
cabinet class....you?
Reg

Martin Shupe