PDA

View Full Version : Transporting a 20" bandsaw

Adam Grills
06-01-2007, 8:42 PM
Hello,
I am going to pick up my new bandsaw tomorrow from the shipping place. Its on a skid and will be lifted by fork truck. Would it be best to leave it on the skid (stable enough with tie downs?) or tip it back and lay it down on the spine? Manufacturer says laying on the spine won't hurt the saw. I have moved many many heavy things but nothing that is this tall. Any suggestions?
Adam

Jim O'Dell
06-01-2007, 8:53 PM
I've always heard to move bandsaws on their spine, unless you can tie off the top like in a moving truck. So a pick up would definately be in the spine position. But I've never moved one before :rolleyes: , so let's see what the experts say. Jim.

Dick Bringhurst
06-01-2007, 8:58 PM
Seems to me it would be easier to get it out of the truck if it was on its spine. Unless you have a fork lift. to get it out. Dick B.

glenn bradley
06-01-2007, 9:15 PM
What are you going to use at home to get it out? If beer-and-friends, I would go spine. I find large things easier to carry 'coffin-style' when people are your forklift.

Adam Grills
06-01-2007, 9:22 PM
Once at the shop I have the option of both ways to get it off the trailer. At the depot there is me and the guy on the fork truck. It will be transported in a utility trailer with 1' 6" side walls.
Adam

Jim Becker
06-01-2007, 9:44 PM
For a band saw, on the spine is going to be the easiest for unloading at your end and also lowers the center of gravity during the trip...

Pete Bradley
06-01-2007, 10:00 PM
I laid mine down for transport, then stood it up and moved it on a 1000lb cap. hand truck with straps to keep it from slipping off. Just keep repeating to yourself "really topheavy, really topheavy, really topheavy..."

Pete

Randy Denby
06-01-2007, 10:08 PM
I laid mine down for transport, then stood it up and moved it on a 1000lb cap. hand truck with straps to keep it from slipping off. Just keep repeating to yourself "really topheavy, really topheavy, really topheavy..."

Pete

HA! Exactly, my 16" MiniMax was oh so tipsy. And once tilted , the balance point was critical, either way from perfectly balanced and it became heavy fast!. Also, if your handtruck has pnuematic tires....make sure they are aired up to snuff and the same pressure.

Jim DeLaney
06-01-2007, 11:01 PM
I tansported my Laguna 16" on its spine. To unload, I slid it off the tailgate, almost to its balance point, removed the skid from the bottom, and installed the mobility kit. Then I just tilted it the rest of the way up, and set it on its wheels.

The whole operation took about ten minutes, with no extra help (although a second pair of hands would have been nice).

Rob Will
06-02-2007, 6:48 PM
I'm going to be a little different on this one.
I just hauled a 2500 lb Moak 36 from Michigan to Kentucky standing up on a 16' utility trailer. We backed the trailer inside the shop and used an overhead hoist to lower the saw to the floor. A simple block and tackle would handle the 20" saw.
In my opinion, the most important aspect of moving any medium to large bandsaw is to remove the table first. If you don't, somebody will use it for a handle. Also it is easier to strap down a bandsaw if the table is removed and out of the way.

Rob

Adam Grills
06-02-2007, 8:21 PM
Well guys, I started on the road at 4am arrived at the shipping depot at 7am. We used 2 small fork trucks to tip it into the trailer on its spine. Once home I had the owner of Timber Mart drive his big fork truck across town and tip it up and put it just inside the shop door. Very nice man for doing that! Now just have to put it together. Thanks everyone.
Adam

Ron Bible
06-03-2007, 7:32 AM
I Used A Large Tractor With A Front End Loader To Unload My Mm20. It Has 2 Holes On Top To Run Chain Through. Just Sat It On The Concrete Driveway, Uncrated It, Then Lifted It Again And Set It Right On The Dolly That I Built...........rolled It Right Into My Shop

Jeff Raymond
06-03-2007, 7:42 AM
There's a problem with all of this.

You are moving it to your shop instead of mine. I'll be happy to provide my address and I will get it moved and not bother anyone else with more posts about this. :D

Congratulations! Move 'er slow and easy, take your time.

Color me jealous.