PDA

View Full Version : My tiling question

Craig D Peltier
06-01-2007, 7:17 PM
IM going to tile my Washer Dryer room, its only 35 square feet. 12" tiles.
Underneath the linoleum is a thick 3/4 to 1" fine (small)particle board. Is it a must that I put cement backerboard under it?
Reason I dont want to is , its going to raise the height so high over my wood floor thats meets with it.

Thanks

Keith Starosta
06-01-2007, 8:51 PM
Craig, your best bet is to visit the John Bridge Tiling Forum. Sort of a SMC for tilers. Great guys, always willing to help.

- Keith

Joe Chritz
06-01-2007, 10:29 PM
You should go check that forum.

You don't have to but it is always a good idea. I don't like to put thinset on anything that could be damaged by moisture. You could go with 1/4 thick hardbacker or durarock and save a 1/4 in height.

The height change is often a problem and if you can keep it to 1/2" a transition piece will hide it and you won't know the difference. The floor trim covering the gap between tile and hardwood is 5/8" or better thick and has never been an issue as it thins out at the edges.

Good luck

Joe

Jim Becker
06-02-2007, 2:38 PM
The more stable the base...the better and longer the tile job will last.

James Stokes
06-02-2007, 2:46 PM
If the vinyl is stuck down to the particle board good you can tile over it without using an underlayment. The vinyl will hold the tile togather as long as you do not have a bunch of give in your floor. Mop your floor real good with amonia to make sure there is no wax on it. Then use a thinset rated for vinyl. You should not have any problems.
I have been setting tile for 30 years so I have a little knowlege.

Craig D Peltier
06-05-2007, 10:46 AM
If the vinyl is stuck down to the particle board good you can tile over it without using an underlayment. The vinyl will hold the tile togather as long as you do not have a bunch of give in your floor. Mop your floor real good with amonia to make sure there is no wax on it. Then use a thinset rated for vinyl. You should not have any problems.
I have been setting tile for 30 years so I have a little knowlege.

Thanks James, Alos thanks for the tile forum site.I will look inot it.