PDA

View Full Version : cedar strong enough for tenon joinery?

Debbie Battaglia
06-01-2007, 6:07 PM
hi,

i want to build a deck table with slats running the long way and meeting a breadboard end on both ends. i don't know if western red cedar will be strong enough -- read on. i was thinking of using a mortise and tenon to attach the slats to the ends, or possibly a loose tenon. my question: would the tenons be strong enough in a m&t joint if i used cedar? or, if i used a loose tenon, would it make sense to use a stronger wood for the tenon?

or, for strength reasons, should i abandon the cedar idea and use a stronger wood like teak?

thanks!

debbie

Dennis Peacock
06-01-2007, 6:28 PM
Hello Debbie,

There's a lot of outdoor furniture that's made from Aeromatic Red Cedar. There's even a furniture shop near me that makes ALL their furniture pieces from this cedar. You will more than likely need to use a 1" tenon to give a little more "meat" to the tenon. With this wood, it's important that you joints be snug and your glue be waterproof for this outdoor furniture.

Hope this helps.

John Bush
06-01-2007, 9:23 PM
Hi Debbie,
I have made quite a few outdoor pieces with recycled western red cedar using M&T joints. You should have no problems using dimensional lumber from the the borg and keeping tenons ~ 3/4" for the breadboard ends and 1" for leg and apron joints. I use 4X4,s for legs and 2X4's for aprons with yellow glue and none have failed yet. Good quality WRC is spendy, even out here close to its source, but it machines well, finishes beautifully, and makes the shop smell great when milling it. Good luck, John.

Roger Bell
06-01-2007, 9:34 PM
I have built quite a bit of stuff....outdoor and indoor...out of WRC, since I can sometimes get high grade material reasonably cheap. It is not as nearly as strong as teak or white oak or other hardwoods woods, but strong enough for a table or chair...as long as the joinery is sound. I suggest avoiding pocket screws and that kind of quick and dirty joinery. It is however soft and will ding and dent quite easily. My computer desk is cedar with a glass top.

The dust is also nasty to almost everyone....so appropriate dust collection and a mask are a must. It is also quite easy to work with hand tools.

Debbie Battaglia
06-01-2007, 9:56 PM
thanks, everyone. i'll go with it then. i work in a cabinet shop and we're just finishing up a big project in WRC. we have some 5/4" stock left over, so i thought i'd use it.

it's definitely soft! i've been tip toeing around the shop trying not to bump into it with anything. and the dust is irritating. my boss was coughing for a couple of weeks until he started wearing his respirator regularly...

debbie