PDA

View Full Version : Usin small angle grinder as sander?

Bill Bolen
06-01-2007, 2:51 PM
I have a small older right angle grinder that I would like to get some dual usage out of. I want to be able to use it as a sander for my lathe work. Does anyone know where I could find some sort of mandrel to hold a sanding disc. Something about 2” or 3” for the sanding disc is all I want. Looked at Lowes and Home Depot around the angle grinders but no joy. The blue-coated expert had no idea either. Thanks in advance. Bill

Bill Wyko
06-01-2007, 4:11 PM
Check with your local automotive paint supplier. I buy a little 3" padded sanding disc set up from A-1 paint supplies here in tucson. It has a 1/4 inch shaft to go into an air dremmel. They also have threaded ones too.

Paul Engle
06-01-2007, 5:06 PM
you should be able to convert the head to a jacobs style chuck. most 3/8" chucks at locale hardware store under 20$ and should work pretty good.Don't know if it is air or electric but jacobs should screw right on to the arbor if its threaded as they ( the chucks ) come w/and w/o shafts. Changing your arbor on the grinder is another story, but the manufacture may have something if not way too old and then there is a machine shop to make you an adapter.Are the disc's are held by threaded arbor with backing plates? if so the thread may be common and there you go.

Brian Myers
06-01-2007, 6:51 PM
I know Harbour Freight has a 3" velcro backed sanding pad that screws onto 4" angle grinders. The sanding disks are garbage but the pad is fine. Well under $10 when on sale. There is not a part number on the pad or I would post it and can`t find it by searching their website.

Clem Wixted
06-01-2007, 8:14 PM
What is the speed of the grinder? Variable speed?

If it is real high speed, fixed speed, it may be too fast to be good choice for sanding on the lathe.

Clem

Richard Madison
06-01-2007, 11:51 PM
Clem is probably right about excessive speed. On the other hand, my two cheapo grinders are "universal" wound (I think), which means they would work with a "plug-in" speed control unit.

Could buy the correct size nut (5/8" coarse or fine?) for the grinder shaft, and a 2" or 3" O.D. flat washer, weld or braze part A to part B, contact cement a suitable sponge rubber disc to part B, and there you are.

Will have to try this if ever get new shop finished, up and running. Just some thoughts.

Bill Bolen
06-02-2007, 3:27 PM
Thanks all! Harbor freight came through for me. Works great too. Bill