PDA

View Full Version : Juried show in Idaho

Paul Engle
06-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Alass, the jury is in and said I was out, my work not good enuf for an arts and craft fair....hmmm being a memeber does not help either. Well the big bowl went to the walk for life Cancer fundraiser silent auction at Litehouse ( 100$) the red fir vase sits on LOML's couch table and the maple burl " bowl " is for sale ,it also has a ( removable ) walnut base so it can sit flat or upright, make offer + shipping. See the orginal thread or PM me for more pics.

Frank Kobilsek
06-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Paul

Don't get yourself in a funk about getting bumped from a juried show. This is my first year of applying to juried shows. I hit on 3 of 4. The one that bumped me is very artsy versus those that accepted me I would not say that about.

Truth is that jury fee is a major fundraiser for some show promoters. I had planned to apply for a big Show. Upon further research I discovered they receive about 1500 application for 150 spots. Of the 150 spots about 100 are already reserved for past award winners and officer of the club. So do the math 50 spots with 1500 artist paying $50 each to apply. That's a fundraiser not a jury.

Frank

Nancy Laird
06-01-2007, 1:33 PM
Paul, can you post a link to the original thread. I'd like to consider it.

Nancy

Bill Wyko
06-01-2007, 2:03 PM
I'm going to ask another stupid question if thats ok. What's a juried show mean?

Frank Kobilsek
06-01-2007, 2:22 PM
Bill,

Some show you just rent the space and you are in. Others 'Juried' they select thier exhibitors from applications that include pictures. So your pictures or slides need to be good enough to impress the jurors so they accept you. These are generally shows where the artist can retail thier work versus exhibits or competitions where the judging is for the contest not the opportunity to retail. Juried shows often have a contest aspect and will award prizes cash or otherwise to winners.

Frank

Al Wasser
06-01-2007, 2:26 PM
A juried show--- the ones I am familiar with from art not wood, you submit a slide of the art work and a judge, not a jury, decides which ones will be accepted to bring the actual work in for the show. There is usually some criteria to be met. I cannot speak for a show with mixed media including wood, but suspect it is not too different.

Bill Wyko
06-01-2007, 3:39 PM
Thanks guys. How does someone find such an event?

Al Wasser
06-01-2007, 3:53 PM
somewhat close to you..... Prescott has/had a show on a recurrent basis during the summer at the Court House. I don't think that one is juried but it you used to be top quality

In Albuquerque--- There are 3 shows each fall. One is during the balloon fiesta in Oct, one sponsered by Weems and a third show in November. The Chamber of Commerce might help pin down more info. I have not tried to sell at these, but have attended all four. All are quality shows that have a bit of everything - paintings, jewelery, wood, pottery, etc

Frank Kobilsek
06-01-2007, 3:59 PM
Bill,

Two ways that worked for me:

1) Ask other artists of any medium.

2) Bang in "Art Shows" and the name of your State in to your favorite search engine and I bet you find some art guild association or somebody who has assembled a list.

Jury dayes are ussually several months before the show date so if you want to start selling at show in the fall or Holiday season get started soon.

Also, setting yourself up to do a show is time consuming and expensive, tent, tables, display racks, packaging, truck and trailer, etc, can had up. I'd really encourage you to go to a few shows walk around visit with the artists or go back to my first suggestion and find that local artist to coach you a bit. I have a full time bronze sculptor in my home town that reveiws my pricing, my jury photos, my whole plan. I return the favor with the occassional wood item he needs. He does 4 big shows per year. The contents of his booth weighs about 25,000 pounds. Between show sales and commissions sold at these events he supports his family, although his 13 year old daughter says she'd rather be rich. He wishes he had more business background before he tried the art biz and laughs at my calculations of inventory required to reach sales goals.

Frank

Bill Wyko
06-01-2007, 4:09 PM
Thank you very much. I'll be back to wood working in another week or so. I'm going to try to get a few pieces done, then I'll see what i can make happen. I do already have a canope and an enclosed trailer and some tables. I was also thinking of building some lit, plexiglass displays as well. It'll probably be a couple months before I in a position to start showing but this info gives me what I need to get started. Thanks again.:)

Paul Engle
06-01-2007, 4:17 PM
Paul, can you post a link to the original thread. I'd like to consider it.

Nancy Try this , if not I can send direct pics of the burl.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57022

Paul Engle
06-01-2007, 4:28 PM
Yes it sure can get involved , I thank all for commenting. I will keep trying for the fall ( Nov show) jury in August ... as now have about 30 bowls roughed and drying :eek: , and for sure can't use em at home:D . Litehouse has invited me to put salad bowl/s in their retail store in Sandpoint.... sooooo my best will go there. Thanks again.

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-01-2007, 5:04 PM
Hang in there Paul. After turning a year without showing my work, then 2 years just having it at one gallery and doing a local combination farmers/art market, the last one doing more shows, I finally submitted to a juried show. It's good that I knew one of the Judges. He knew my work and discounted my crappy pictures, so I got in. This does not mean that I'll be there next year.

Bruce

Keith Burns
06-01-2007, 5:33 PM
Paul, don't let it get you down. The way I look at it is that it is their loss !