PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with new Jet 1220 and questions

paul ashman
05-31-2007, 11:49 PM
Hi,
I just picked up one of the new Jet 1220 machines, with a 12" capacity and 20" between centers and a bigger motor, it was just what I wanted. I am mainly turning spindles, and hope to move up to bowls. I ordered a Nova Midi chuck also. I have not turned a lot with it, but should the headstock be getting very warm? Do I have the belt to tight? Or the wood mounted incorrectly (i.e. too tight?), or is this normal. Otherwise, the machine is absolutely quiet, no vibrations. One other question, the tailstock and tool rest base do not move quite as freely when unlocked, is there a lubricant that is reccomended? beeswax?
Thanks for the help, I seem to have gone off the deep end--my garage will never be the same

Paul Ashman

Stephen Hibbs
05-31-2007, 11:58 PM
the tailstock base is adjustable in that you can turn a screw underneath the ways to loosen and tighten it down so it slides freely, but can still be locked, it will need occasional adjustments. I don't know about the headstock being warm, it's probably not supposed to happen though, if I were to guess.

Bill Bolen
06-01-2007, 12:01 AM
Welcome! I'm sure you are gonna love that 1220. My buddy has one and can't say enough good things. For lubrication of the lathe bed and the tool rest I just use regular old woodfloor paste wax. Does a great job and a can will last you forever. The headstock should not be heating up. Are you sure the heat build up isn't coming from the built in lamp? Enjoy the vortex! Bill

Doug M Jones
06-01-2007, 6:38 AM
Not sure why the headstock would be getting hot but I was advised by the department manager at the Woodsmith Store to let the weight of the motor tighten the belts on my Jet Mini. He said that 99% of the people replacing belts were pushing down on the motor and over tightening the belts. I put the belt in position, turn a couple turns by hand to make sure it aligns correctly and then release the knob holding the motor up. The motor drops down and tightens the belt, I snug up the knob and away I go. I have had no problems with the belt slipping and hope to have long belt life. I'm pretty new to the creek and not an expert, just passing along what I thought was pretty good advice.

Kurt Whitley
06-01-2007, 12:13 PM
I'd agree that the belt is likely too tight.
Approach it this way - if the belt is too loose, it will slip if you have a catch or overload it in any other way - that is not a big problem.
So start out on what you feel is the loose side and tighten it if the belt slips when you don't want it too (but be sure it is the belt and not the spur which is slipping). The belt is tight enough if you do not have slipping.
There are some other attempts at gaging belt tension, like the belt should deflect 1/2" if you push it in-between the pulleys. That always begs the question of how hard do you push, but is probably useful to some extent.

Cheers,
Kurt

Harvey M. Taylor
06-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Cant help you with the heat, but can with the tool rest and tailstock. Get a small mirror,hand size. lay it under the ways where the tool rest and tail stock are. Observe the size of nut holding them on the ways. Back the nut off NO MORE THAN A QUARTER TURN at a time. Check after each turning to get the freedom you want with the clamping pressure when tightened. They are neoprene nuts and may wear out in time. If loosens too often replace with another neoprene nut. Also, remove the tailstock and tool rest and put paste wax on the ways and the contact surfaces of the toolrest and tail stock. Buff preferably with an electric buffer. This should fix that problem. If the headstock slides, wax that also in the same manner.