PDA

View Full Version : Applewood Bowl (critiques welcome)

Jason Slutsky
05-31-2007, 7:30 PM
Here are some pictures of an applewood bowl I just finished. This piece of wood was great to work with. Amazing grain and color. Also had a hidden treasure...a nice size larvae of some sort that made a gooey mess on my arm as I turned. He was nice enough to bore a couple holes and backfill them with sawdust that I was able to stablize with CA. Also left a bark inclusion on the bottom edge.

About 7"x4" - Three coats of Formby's Tung Oil finish - haven't buffed it yet.

Steve Schlumpf
05-31-2007, 7:34 PM
Nice looking bowl Jason! You are right - great looking wood grain! Bugs are fun - NOT! - but at least they add to the artsy element of a turning! Nice work!

Jim Becker
05-31-2007, 7:50 PM
Very nice piece, Jason. This is a form I happen to enjoy and made good use of a few years ago with a nice hunk of spalted maple myself.

I think the only thing I see that you might try for this form the next time is to bring the rim in a little more...it "wants" to get a little narrower, but isn't getting there. Not as much as a brandy snifter, but just a little more than you did here...

Bernie Weishapl
05-31-2007, 10:58 PM
Mighty fine looking bowl Jason. I really like the wood color and grain. I agree with Jim that I would have brought the rim in. You did a great job.

Jonathon Spafford
06-03-2007, 1:23 AM
Another great looking bowl! I really like the character in this piece! It has some wild patterns in there!

Keith Burns
06-03-2007, 9:12 AM
Jason, I agree with Jim on bringing the rim in or shortening the whole bowl like the other one you did. Well executed though with nice curves and bottom.

Ken LaSota
06-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Jason nice looking bowl.Looks like you real sanded it well nice finish.
Ken

Nancy Laird
06-03-2007, 1:49 PM
Jason, I really like this bowl. Looks just right to me...but then, what do I know? :rolleyes:

Nancy

Jason Slutsky
06-03-2007, 2:52 PM
Thank you all for the comments. I do agree that it could have either been a shallower bowl or more curved towards the rim.

I think my goal in this project was to work on my hollowing. This is the deepest that I have been able to get so far without making any major mistakes. I'm happy with the thickness but the inside corner has again been the toughest for me.