PDA

View Full Version : Router for router table only use

Brian Myers
05-31-2007, 7:02 PM
Need advice on a new router for in table only use. Last week I wrecked my Dewalt 625 ( using a bit extender, my fault). Ordered a new armature and bearings and tried to install them myself , but ,well just lets say its trash now. I have no intention of getting another armature. I will say the replacement parts were not as high a quality as the original pieces. I never liked the DeWalt in the table as changing bits was a pain but the power was nice. I am using larger moulding style bits as well as the normal stuff. Please reply with recomendations based on Personal Experience only not on magazine reviews. Thanks in advance.

Jim Becker
05-31-2007, 7:20 PM
I've been using a PC7518 in my router table (I'm effectively on my third table with the same router) since about 2000. It's a workhorse.

Ken Garlock
05-31-2007, 7:25 PM
One of the few things from PC I will praise is the 7518 motor. I have it mounted in a Woodpecker PRL lift. The two work just fine together. Like Jim said, it is a workhorse.

Randy Klein
05-31-2007, 7:30 PM
I don't have personal experience, but I did a similar thread-search/question-asking a few weeks ago and it seems that the PC 7518 and the Milwaukee 5625 were both highly recommended. There wasn't a lot of help on deciding between the two though...I guess whatever the greatest price is at the time.

And if I remember, http://www.heavydutytools.net (http://www.heavydutytools.net/) had the best prices when I was looking.

Corey Hallagan
05-31-2007, 7:37 PM
I have the DW 625 in my Bench Dog table. It's a nice router with lots of power but I don't think it is the best router for a table. Of I had to do it all over again right now the Triton router would be high on my list. Just doesn't get much easier to change a bit than that router set up. Not from my own experience but from many many happy Triton users. Next to that my rec would be for the Milwaukee and for the same reason... lots of happy users.

Corey

scott spencer
05-31-2007, 7:39 PM
I've been happy with the MW5625. It has above table height changes and is a good workhorse. The PC gets high marks too.

If I don't need to do a bunch of raised panels, I really like all the above table features of my FT-1700, though it's not as powerful as the 5625, it's still plenty for most tasks.

Brad Noble
05-31-2007, 8:04 PM
Woodpecker PRL lift and Milwaukee 5625 router. Wonderful combo. I have it in my table and have yet to find a bit it can't handle. Now, wether or not I can handle it is another question. The 5625 is a great router for life in a table.

Brad

Dan Clark
05-31-2007, 8:28 PM
Need advice on a new router for in table only use. Last week I wrecked my Dewalt 625 ( using a bit extender, my fault). Ordered a new armature and bearings and tried to install them myself , but ,well just lets say its trash now. I have no intention of getting another armature. I will say the replacement parts were not as high a quality as the original pieces. I never liked the DeWalt in the table as changing bits was a pain but the power was nice. I am using larger moulding style bits as well as the normal stuff. Please reply with recomendations based on Personal Experience only not on magazine reviews. Thanks in advance.

Brian,

Not trying to sidetrack your thread, but what bit extender were you using? I have a Router Raizer bit extender which I haven't installed into my Hitachi M12V yet. That's why I'm asking.

Thanks,

Dan.

Brian Myers
05-31-2007, 10:17 PM
Brian,

Not trying to sidetrack your thread, but what bit extender were you using? I have a Router Raizer bit extender which I haven't installed into my Hitachi M12V yet. That's why I'm asking.

Thanks,

Dan.
I was using an extender from MLCS. My fault for not pushing it far enough down into the collet (atleast this what I believed happened, everything came loose when it cracked). The shaft/armature cracked where the collect sits in it .

Matt Benton
05-31-2007, 10:24 PM
I have 2 Freud 1700's, and as long as you leave them in the table, they are as good as any other 2 hp router in a table, in my opinion. Just don't take it out and try to use it with a dovetail jig.

That said, I think if I did it over I would get a 3 hp router for a table without question. Even without using panel raisers, I think the extra power is nice in most situations.

pat warner
05-31-2007, 10:46 PM
Personal experience. (http://patwarner.com/selecting_router.html)

Christopher Stahl
06-01-2007, 12:07 AM
The PC 7518 and the Woodpecker PRL lift. I love it and it works great like others have said.

Kim Spence
06-01-2007, 12:26 AM
I have a PC 7518 in a Jessem Masterlift both perform very well, like Jim said its a workhorse.

Dan Drager
06-01-2007, 12:34 AM
Another vote for the Milwaukee 5625. I use it with a home made MDF Router table and I am a happy camper. All the power you'll ever need with a nice soft start.

glenn bradley
06-01-2007, 12:36 AM
I have the Mil 5625 and have been very pleased. The 7518 gets a lot of good press here as well. I guess you'll have to flip a coin or check for sales.

Joe Chritz
06-01-2007, 7:26 AM
My dad has a 7518 in a CNC router and I shudder to think how many hours that thing has ran. Super tough, durable and powerful with the weight to match.

If I didn't have a shaper for panels it would be one of my top choices. I currently just use the MDF table top route and use one of the 2.25 HP routers in it.

I would feel very comfortable in picking any mentioned based on what deal I can get. They are all very nice units.

Joe

Brian Myers
06-02-2007, 5:09 PM
Ok, I searched around the web looking at all the machines mentioned, all look like good choices. What would be the best choice- plunge or fixed base and do I need to get a router lift to get the most bit height adjustment? I am looking to use moulding bits more and more. I don`t constantly use the router but when I do I use it hard. I was in the process of making decorative caps for over the interior of the windows and doorways in the livingroom. The bottom was routed with a 1/2" shank moulding bit. I only had one done so, I have changed my design to be able to stick to 1/4" bits . My other router is a cheap 20yr.old Craftsman and will use it to finish this project. Is a router lift necessity or just conveniece?

John Lucas
06-02-2007, 7:25 PM
I have three PC 7815 and they are heavy duty work horses. That said, I still like the Hitachi M12V best and the price has always beat all others. UNfortunately, the new Hitachi M12VC looks more up to date but isnt as a good a router for the table....darn.

Dave MacArthur
06-03-2007, 12:57 AM
Read Pat Warner's router pages, link above, for one of the best analysis of routers and router-table routers, that I found when researching the subject myself.

I have a DeWalt 625 in mine.

Greg Narozniak
06-06-2007, 10:04 AM
Ditto to what serveral others have said. I have a 7518 in a PRL and I love the setup. That router is a Bear!

Steve Alderman
06-06-2007, 8:42 PM
Porter Cable 7518 in the BenchDog Pro Lift.

Compared to what I used to have, I love this set up.

Michael Lutz
06-06-2007, 9:40 PM
I have a PC 7518 and a Jess-em Mast-r-lift. It still needs to be installed 2 1/2 years after I bought it. I guess I need to work faster or stop putting things ahead of it on the To-do List.:D Eventhough I don't have complete control of that.;)

Mike

Gary Keedwell
06-06-2007, 10:00 PM
I have a PC 7518 and a Jess-em Mast-r-lift. It still needs to be installed 2 1/2 years after I bought it. I guess I need to work faster or stop putting things ahead of it on the To-do List.:D Eventhough I don't have complete control of that.;)

Mike

Are those EARTH YEARS ?:D
Gary K.

Tom Veatch
06-06-2007, 11:10 PM
PC7518 in a JessEm lift. "Rout-R-Lift", I think. Not really sure which model lift. Been in there so long, I've forgotten that particular detail.

Added an "Eliminator" quick change chuck and never have to get under the table except to set the router speed. Really don't need the quick change chuck to change bits from top of the table, but it makes it a little easier and much faster.

Don't really see how the setup could be improved.

Brian Myers
06-07-2007, 12:02 AM

Mike
That must be one tough installation job.:D:rolleyes:

glenn bradley
06-07-2007, 1:15 AM
Ok, I searched around the web looking at all the machines mentioned, all look like good choices. What would be the best choice- plunge or fixed base and do I need to get a router lift to get the most bit height adjustment? I am looking to use moulding bits more and more. I don`t constantly use the router but when I do I use it hard. I was in the process of making decorative caps for over the interior of the windows and doorways in the livingroom. The bottom was routed with a 1/2" shank moulding bit. I only had one done so, I have changed my design to be able to stick to 1/4" bits . My other router is a cheap 20yr.old Craftsman and will use it to finish this project. Is a router lift necessity or just conveniece?

Well, now we have a bit of a mixed message. Your OP indicated RT only so I would say no plunge. If you want to avoid the lift, Triton and others have embraced this idea (although with a plunge [nothing is ever easy]) to some degree. The only router that seems to have licked the need for a lift altogether is the Triton 2 1/4 HP but now you're going down in power. The Freud routers have very long shafts and make above the table bit changes easy but still use a manual lock that is engaged under the table. Some folks have stated that they just don't lock the motor but, i would be nervous doing that (that's just me).

A recent reviewer had used the smaller Triton in a table for 6 months and deemed it well tricked-out for the table and more than acceptable for almost everything but wished for more power when using larger bits. The large Triton has more power and 'almost' the same capability but is not quite as elegant. Don't know why they didn't retain all the table functionality with the big motor (?).

To clarify, both have the cool self locking collet, the 'designed to be removed' plunge spring and such. According to the Triton guy I talked to the larger model does not support the self locking depth crank from above the table. Someone who owns one please correct this information if I have been misinformed because it just doesn't make sense to me :confused: .

In an earlier time, I was after raw power and electronic speed control. The Mil 5625 was getting good reviews and that is the one I got knowing that a lift was in my future. I am really happy with the router but, you have to get a lift built for it to avoid the necessity of bent-wrenches for bit changes above the table. A few lifts and complete systems have been designed around this motor as others have been designed around the PC7518 and other motors.

Everything clear? :D

Michael Lutz
06-07-2007, 9:14 AM
Gary,

Those are earth years. Things move slowly in my shop. Since my son is now going to bed earlier I get and hour or so of work in the shop a night.

Brian,

Having a kid and fixing up the house that is built around the shop have taken a priority. It is moving up the shop priority list, though. I should get to building the router table this year or early next year.

Mike

glenn bradley
06-07-2007, 11:08 AM

Mike

Mike! Quick! Relieve yourself of the burden. Send that stuff to me immediately ;) .

Michael Lutz
06-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Glenn,

Thanks, but no thanks. I actually still want to use them.:) Now there are other things I would be more than happy to get rid of, but that is for a different thread.;)

Thanks,

Mike

Ken Werner
06-07-2007, 1:28 PM
Brian, I'll be self-serving but also perhaps helpful. I'm selling my Hitachi TR12 in the classifieds here. It comes with an after market adjustment knob which makes table use very adjustable. At 3HP, it'll handle any bit you want. Anyway, consider it, it works fine and is [IMHO] a very good value for a machine with little use. And yes, from personal experience, it has worked very well in the table.

Tom Hamilton
06-07-2007, 2:44 PM
The Jan issue of FWW tested routers mounted in a table and Triton won hands down. You can probably access the story on their web site for the full story.

Best regards, Tom