PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of this Unisaw model?

Tim Lynch
05-31-2007, 6:22 PM
I'm looking at a 2HP 1PH right tilt Unisaw that the owner says is a 1992 Model 93 K 91704.

Does this model number look familiar to anyone? I'm trying to figure out if this would be a good saw to purchase. It would be a bit of a drive for me to go see in person. The seller sent photos and they look pretty good, but there's been so many models over the years and I'd hate to get the one lemon that Delta made (if they made any, that is).

Thanks.

David Eisan
05-31-2007, 9:09 PM
Hello there,

Before todays current crop of Hybreds, Delta made one in about that time frame. I have seen Unisaws from the 60's that were 2hp, but not from 91.

Is the motor cover on the left, but it is right tilt saw? If so, it is not a unisaw, but an early CSIB (contractor saw inna box). Unless it is in great shape and cheap, you are better off buying a new Delta hybred for ~$800 (CDN).

Let me know what you find out,

Thanks,

David.

Jerry White
05-31-2007, 9:19 PM
Tim,

The number that the owner gave you sounds more like a serial number to me. If so, the model number should be on the same nameplate as the serial number. By the way, if that is indeed the serial number, I believe that it would indicate a manufacture date of 1993.

Hope this is of some help.

Jerry

Tim Lynch
05-31-2007, 9:28 PM
Here's one of the photos he supplied.

Tim Lynch
05-31-2007, 9:31 PM
Thanks, maybe I'll ask him to look at it again for the model number. It comes w/ a T-Square fence and side table (looks pretty big, maybe 50"). He's asking $450, so the price seems reasonable.

John Lucas
05-31-2007, 9:37 PM
I bought my Unisaw in 1993 so it may well be of ssame model.vintage. I love mine. I don't know the horse power but whatever it has, it purrrrs.
You have a table that has a lot of rust but that isnt bad if the top is level. Go at the top with a belt sander at 120 grit and you can clkeanoff very fast...then wax and take care of it properly.
I dont know what you have for a fence. I use the Incra TSiiiand love it.

Bruce Page
05-31-2007, 10:17 PM
edit: Go at the top with a belt sander at 120 grit and you can clkeanoff very fast...then wax and take care of it properly.

Unless you are very skilled with a belt sander, I’d use a ROS instead. It won’t be nearly as fast but it’ll be a whole lot safer on the cast iron.

Jim McCarty
06-01-2007, 12:00 AM
Unless you are very skilled with a belt sander, I’d use a ROS instead. It won’t be nearly as fast but it’ll be a whole lot safer on the cast iron.
I have to agree with Bruce on this one.

Mike Heidrick
06-01-2007, 12:17 AM
Hello there,

Before todays current crop of Hybreds, Delta made one in about that time frame. I have seen Unisaws from the 60's that were 2hp, but not from 91.

Is the motor cover on the left, but it is right tilt saw? If so, it is not a unisaw, but an early CSIB (contractor saw inna box). Unless it is in great shape and cheap, you are better off buying a new Delta hybred for ~$800 (CDN).

Let me know what you find out,

Thanks,

David.

36-750, 36-751, and 36-752 were the 1st gen Delta hybrids. I owned one of these before the sawstop.

That picture is of a true unisaw cabinet.

Have him check the number of belts on the pulley - 1st gen hydrids had one and the same year unisaws were multi belt.

How is he sure it is only 2hp?

John Lucas
06-01-2007, 3:59 AM
I have to agree with Bruce on this one.

I can agree with both. ROS is slower and safer. When I got mine, it was new and had a lot of milling swirls, The ROS was too slow. The belt sander with 120 grit took the swirls out. I spent about 6 hours to get the perfect top. A tiring job, but so rewarding. I would never have thought of using any woodworking finishing tools to tackle the cast iron.

Tim Lynch
06-01-2007, 6:51 AM
I'm not too confident about the info given; he says the motor is 230V/12.4Amp.

As far as the year, he said the manual said 1992, so it could have been actually built in 93.

Thanks for all the tips.

Tim Lynch
06-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Okay, more info: It's a model 36-812 and now he says it's a 1HP motor, but has 3 belts.

I'm inclined to think it's actually a 3HP model, unless the motor was changed.

I guess my only question still is if this is a great solid year/model or if I should save my money for something better?

Currently I'm running a Craftsman contractor saw, but I've put a 3HP motor and a Delta T2 fence on it, so I'm not suffering too badly. If I got the Unisaw and sold off that stuff, I might even break even... but that makes it seem like a no-brainer...

Burt Waddell
06-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Tim,

According to the serial number, the saw was made in November of 1993. I have a unisaw that I bought new that is about the same age and I can't say enough good things about it. I've been using it full time in a cabinet shop since I bought it when it was new and it hasn't required any repair.

Burt

Bruce Page
06-01-2007, 2:52 PM
I would pass on it if it is indeed a 1hp. $450 seems high to me anyway given the rust on the tables and probably the trunnions, tilt mechanism, spindle bearings etc.
JMHO...