PDA

View Full Version : Dc Question

Keith Beck
05-31-2007, 5:58 PM
Hopefully, this won't start any DC wars...

If the Grizzly G1029Z has a 2 hp motor turning a 12 inch impeller at 3450 rpm and the G1030 has a 3 hp motor also turning a 12-inch impeller at 3450 rpm, what accounts for the 750 difference in cfm and 5.7" inch difference in static pressure? I'm guessing it has something to do with the surface area of the two bags on the G1030 versus the one bag on the G1029Z?

The reason I'm asking is because I currently have the G1029Z, but I have an opportunity to pick-up a G1030 for $200. I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading given the trade-off of the loss of space the G1030 will present. Also, I already have an after-market 1-micron bag on my G1029Z and the G1030 still has the stock 30-micron bags, so I'll have to buy at least one more bag.

Keith

Phil Thien
05-31-2007, 10:54 PM
Could also be a better impeller design.

Mike Heidrick
06-01-2007, 12:26 AM
Propeller design including height of blades of propeller or material propeller is made out of?? Also design of housing??
Just pure guesses as I have not seen either model.

Jeffrey Makiel
06-01-2007, 7:53 AM
Phil and Mike hit the nail on the head. When most folks talk about fan wheel performance, they limit it to diameter alone. Although diameter is the most prevalent parameter of wheel description, it's not the only one.

However, with many import single stage collectors that I've seen, the wheels are usually radial steel blade. If so, it may be that the 3HP unit just has double bags, which has lower restriction and allows a higher cfm at free flow (no duct). A 3 HP motor would prevent burnout in this free flow situation. If this is the case (and I'm only guessing), there is not much difference in performance if both are connected to similar duct configurations. However, the 3HP double bagger will not depreciate in performance as quickly as the bags load up...but, again, this has nothing to do with horsepower.

I'm only guessing here. If you're considering these collectors, I recommend that you give Grizzly a call. It could be that their 3hp unit uses either a wider blade or an inclined blade (vs. radial), and therefore, has different performance characteristics that fully utilize a 3 hp motor under real (ducted) conditions. It certainly is a fair question.

-Jeff :)

Al Killian
06-01-2007, 11:21 AM
They both have the same wheel. So, I have no idea where the extra comes in. Remember that the rateings are way off base anyhow.

Chris Padilla
06-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Yep, the devil's in the details when it comes to trying to compare different vendor's design and "marketing" numbers. One really needs to dig.

Jim Bell
06-01-2007, 3:44 PM
I call it creative marketing.......