PDA

View Full Version : T.V. console repair

Al Killian
05-31-2007, 5:55 PM
I have been asked to fix a 32" console tv for a lady. The problem is when it was moved it was droped on its face and broke on of the top corners. The peice the is broken is around 3" long by around 1" wide. It is made of mdf with a shelf like? contact paper over it. For the repair I plan on squaring up the broken area anr replaceing it with a new peice. The question is, should I just use contact paper to patch that area? Or is there a actual stuff to use? Veneer will probly wouldnt match up with it. Any ideas?

George Summers
05-31-2007, 7:45 PM
Personal opinion, but I don't think you will be able to match it no matter what you use. Maybe cut off/out both corners and add matching replacement patches so that it appears to be a design feature.

George

Al Killian
06-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks, George. That sounds like a plan. Any ideas on the replacement veneer?

Joe Jensen
06-01-2007, 12:14 PM
The "veneer" is likely a thermal film that is applied sheet goods prior to manufacturing. Could you repair and veneer over the entire surface with real veneer? I don't think contact paper will look right at all.

Is this;
1) A pay job
2) A favor, needs to be done, but don't want to spend a lot of time
3) Something that you are willing to spend 40 or more hours on to get it right

I think #1 and 2 require the same amount of time. I am assuming it's the veneer on the top that needs repair. I'd look at replacing the edge all the way around, and put new real wood veneer on top and then finish as close as possible to the original...joe

George Summers
06-01-2007, 2:10 PM
Thanks, George. That sounds like a plan. Any ideas on the replacement veneer?

Why veneer? Why not just cut a block out and replace it with a solid wood block in a contrasting wood/grain/color. Replacement block could be rectangular or triangular.

George