PDA

View Full Version : motor kicking on startup of delta 10" contractor's saw

Mark Borowsky
05-31-2007, 5:05 PM
I just got a used 10" delta table saw (36-454) cleaned up, set up, and wired up for 220 V and hit the on switch. It runs great, but I noticed everytime I power it on the motor, which is hanging off the back held up in place by the belt tension, bounces up. It's jumping up more than I would have guessed, although not so far that the belt comes off, but definitely more than it was when I ran it on 110 V a few times before I got the 220 set up.

The motor appears to be properly mounted, no missing or damaged parts.

Should I be concerned about this or is it normal?
Thanks,
Mark

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-31-2007, 5:50 PM
I am told that Deltas are famous for a bang on start up. I guess the Delta motor has some starting torque going.

My 4 HP TS and JP motors don't start like that. In fact I can grab the blade and it won't exert enough torque to pull it out of my hands.

Chuck Lenz
05-31-2007, 5:59 PM
When I wired my Contractors saw up for 220 after haveing it wired up for 110 for many years the one thing I noticed was it comes up to speed instantly, so I think the symtom you describe is normal for the motor as far as torque goes. I guess my question is, do you have the right length belt on it ? It could be the motor isn't hanging down enough. Or do you have a electric motor belt on it and not a automotive belt on it. Automotive belts have a different degree of pitch and should NOT be used on a electric motor pulley. Also I might add is have you tried a Fenner Drives PowerTwist link belt ? They are a excellent replacement belt, they run smoother.

Jim C Bradley
05-31-2007, 6:00 PM
Hi,
My 1 hp bandsaw motor jumps like mad. It is a 110/220 motor wired for 110. My TS and belt sander start gently (110v). My DC and air compressor are both 220 and start gently.
I don't know if that is any help to you. The bandsaw motor is about twice the physical size as the TS. Both are 1hp, 3450 rpm. That's just more unscientific info. Just the facts.

Enjoy,
Jim

Mark Borowsky
05-31-2007, 8:10 PM
Thanks all, very helpful to hear your experiences! The belt appears to be original equipment, but as I bought it used, who knows? I will check out the Fenner Drives belt Chuck suggested, sounds like it might be a good idea to put a known belt on this saw.
--Mark

Alan Tolchinsky
05-31-2007, 10:21 PM
When I wired my Contractors saw up for 220 after haveing it wired up for 110 for many years the one thing I noticed was it comes up to speed instantly, so I think the symtom you describe is normal for the motor as far as torque goes. I guess my question is, do you have the right length belt on it ? It could be the motor isn't hanging down enough. Or do you have a electric motor belt on it and not a automotive belt on it. Automotive belts have a different degree of pitch and should NOT be used on a electric motor pulley. Also I might add is have you tried a Fenner Drives PowerTwist link belt ? They are a excellent replacement belt, they run smoother.

I had the same experience and think it's normal. I too noticed the motor coming up to speed much faster than when it was wired for 110volts. It sort of makes a bang on start up and that baby is ready for action. I think it's normal and seems to cause no problems. Alan