PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 66 Deal - Amazon

David Axmann
05-31-2007, 4:05 PM
I've had a bunch of cabinet saws sitting in my Amazon cart for months now. When I checked today I got a message that the
Powermatic 1660760K Model 66 10-Inch Left Tilt 3 Horsepower Cabinet Saw with 50-Inch Accu-Fence and 2 Cast Iron Extension Wings, 230-Volt 1 Phase
dropped from $2657.99 to the current price of $1635.58. They are charging $149 for shipping (it seems their free shipping on the heavy stuff has disappeared lately).

I might be interested if I didn't jump on one of the Jet deals last week.

Forgot to add the link here (http://www.amazon.com/Powermatic-1660760K-Horsepower-Accu-Fence-Extension/dp/B00005OQM4/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_2/104-7223167-3327113)

Martin Shupe
05-31-2007, 4:11 PM
Hmmm, I wonder is Sawstop is having an impact on the tablesaw market?

David Axmann
05-31-2007, 4:19 PM
It's hard to deduce anything from Amazon's pricing. However, it does seem like we are about to see riving knives available on a few more saws; Jet has confirmed this on their website and I wouldn't be surprised if that's a part of Delta's big summer announcement.

I am surprised to see such a drop on the 66 though.

Rob Bodenschatz
05-31-2007, 4:25 PM

Give me a break. Amazon does deals like this all the time. Pay attention and be quick & you can catch a deal on almost any tool.

Doug Shepard
05-31-2007, 5:47 PM

My guess is that their own PM2000 may be partially the reason.

Martin Shupe
05-31-2007, 5:53 PM
Give me a break. Amazon does deals like this all the time. Pay attention and be quick & you can catch a deal on almost any tool.

Well, when I bought my saw several years back, the prices didn't fluctuate nearly so much. They had a price and stuck to it. Too bad I am not in the market for a new saw right now, as it sounds like a good deal.

Martin Shupe
05-31-2007, 5:55 PM
My guess is that their own PM2000 may be partially the reason.

Oh, I didn't know they had come out with a "newer and better" saw. I guess I am out of touch with the lastest and greatest in tablesaw innovation.

Paul Douglass
05-31-2007, 8:11 PM
I'm telling you the real reason for the neat deals is because I made a decision and bought a saw last month. Been great deals after that. I would have loved to have caught this one!:p

Jake Helmboldt
05-31-2007, 11:36 PM
I think Doug might be onto something. I can't imagine PM will continue the 66 for much longer. They are moving more manufacturing overseas (the 2000 is Asian-made), and it doesn't make a lot of sense to have two similar products like that. Now that the 2000 is making inroads I think it will be seen as their primary cab saw. I would certainly take the 2000 over the 66 (at their retail prices that is).

sascha gast
05-31-2007, 11:41 PM
really< the 2000 over the 66?? ok, riving knife..............but man it's so ugly:D.

I am glad I got a 66 3 years ago, if I ever upgrade, i think I would go felder or such.

Gregg Feldstone
05-31-2007, 11:49 PM
So, which is a better saw? The 66 or the 2000?
IS there a better motor in the 66?

Gary Herrmann
06-01-2007, 9:32 AM
If I didn't already have a good ts, I'd be ordering the 66 right now. Great price.

Don Bullock
06-01-2007, 9:47 AM

Martin, even though I have a SS I don't think this is the reason for the low Amazon prices. In my opinion Amazon is a very high volume dealer that is more in tune with the suppliers and market than most suspect. They know when companies are dropping or changing models and lower prices partly based on that information. In the short time I've been watching their prices I've noticed that the price drops often preceed major changes in product availability. I've seen rumors here and elsewhere that PM is dropping the 66 from their line. The Hatachi CSMS that I got early this year on one of their "great deals," for example, has niow been replaced by a newer model. As was mentioned in this thread, some table saws (Jet has announced the change and perhaps Delta will be doing that this summer) are now coming out with a riving knife instead of a splitter. That appears to be the biggest reason for the big price drops on them (note the recent drop in prices on Jet and Delta table saws). Now, it could be argued that since SS has a riving knife, and there has been much more press on table saw safety since it entered the market, that it's introduction did help excelerate this change in the marketplace. It's hard to say for sure.