PDA

View Full Version : CD Player Cleaning Disks

Peter Stahl
05-31-2007, 3:51 PM
Do the cleaning disks they sell to clean CD players really work? My wife has a Ford Escape with a 6 disk CD player and it static sounds only when you play disks.

thanks, Pete

Jim Myers
05-31-2007, 3:59 PM
They do not really work because you do not want to touch the laser eye as it tends to knock them out of alignment.

Most of the time you can get away with just a couple of quick shots from compressed air and it is fine as you are trying to remove dust from the lens.

If you have static however it is not cased by a dirty eye. When the eye is dirty you get skipping. Static is caused by the electronics and would require a repair shop.

I used to work on home CD players is how I came by my information.

Peter Stahl
06-01-2007, 3:44 PM
They do not really work because you do not want to touch the laser eye as it tends to knock them out of alignment.

Most of the time you can get away with just a couple of quick shots from compressed air and it is fine as you are trying to remove dust from the lens.

If you have static however it is not cased by a dirty eye. When the eye is dirty you get skipping. Static is caused by the electronics and would require a repair shop.

I used to work on home CD players is how I came by my information.

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to ask the dealer if there is a repair center in the area. Might be cheaper to replace it with a single disk player.

John Shuk
06-01-2007, 8:02 PM
Static tells me that it is an electrical connection and not an optical problem. Something it probably a bit loose.