PDA

View Full Version : Latest update on the shop and a little gloat.

Bill Wyko
05-31-2007, 2:07 PM
Here's what it looks like with 1/2 the roof done. I should be all wrapped up this weekend. Then it's on to the insides. Electrical, insulation, A/C, sheetrock, flooring etc, etc. Heres a pic of my segment cutter (Powermatic table saw) and the filtration system still in the box though. I would have finished the saw but it didn't have any instructions for the fence.:mad:

Jim Becker
05-31-2007, 3:07 PM
'Shop's coming together nicely, Bill.

Bill Wyko
05-31-2007, 3:23 PM
Thanks Jim. My electrician was just by and he's going to my house on Tuesday or wednesday. I'm hoping to get back to turning in a couple weeks.:D Trust me, I'll be making up for lost time. One of the set backs is that I'm also upping the circuit to the house from 100 amp to 200 amp.

Mike Turkley
05-31-2007, 4:03 PM
The shop is moving along nicely Bill. You know you are going to have to move the patio stones over to the fron door of the shop. :D

Congratulations on the new tool as well!

I would reconsider using sheetrock as you know you're going to ding it, knock holes in it and possibly have some flying pieces come off the lathe and smack it.:eek: Just an opinion or my two cents.

I put 1/2" OSB with screws in my shop walls and ceiling. The nice thing about OSB is you can put a nail or screw anywhere you want to hang stuff on.:D

Keep us posted on your progress Bill.

MikeT

Bill Wyko
05-31-2007, 4:21 PM
Good point. What about lighting? Is it affected?

Bob Hallowell
05-31-2007, 4:22 PM
Bill Everything is looking nice, but I noticed that your segment cutter has a pretty big rip capacity. does that mean we're gonna she some 50" segments?:D

Bob

Mike Turkley
05-31-2007, 4:35 PM
Good point. What about lighting? Is it affected?

I put up four of the four foot shop lights in my shop, hanging them up with screw eyes centering the ceiling rafters then, using "S" hooks to hang the fixture. My fixtures came with 110 volt plug already attached, so I put in 110 volt outlets in the ceiling to plug them into. Once a fixture goes bad, just un-plug and replace with a new one.

MikeT

Bill Wyko
05-31-2007, 6:19 PM
:D Actually I'll be geting the Incra sliding miter to add to that lil gem. I'm one of those tool-a-holics. To give you an Idea of how bad I am, here's a pic of one 3 tool boxes i have. This one is 1 ton empty. I guess it's better than drugs or alcohol.

Bernie Weishapl
05-31-2007, 6:44 PM
Hey Bill looking good. It won't be long. Keep at and keep us informed.

Steve Schlumpf
05-31-2007, 6:59 PM
Looking really good Bill! Hope things continue to progress smoothly for you and you are able to get back to turning real soon!

Christopher K. Hartley
05-31-2007, 7:11 PM
Way to go Bill, it is coming along very well. Can't wait to see it finished.:)

Brett Baldwin
06-01-2007, 1:43 AM
Not long now Bill. You actually read those pieces of paper that come with the tool? How do justify the foul language when you were told in writing how to do it?;)

I'd be interested to hear how the 100 to 200 amp upgrade goes for you. I'm looking at doing the same thing and it would be nice to have an idea of what to expect ahead of time.

Bill Wyko
06-01-2007, 12:13 PM
The only concern I have is that my wall is over code and my building is over code:confused: but all my neighbors don't care so I shouldn't have any problems. My 100 amp circuit is terrible. I can't even turn on the stove and the oven at the same time w/o blowing a breaker.

As far as progress goes, last night I got 1/2 of the roofing done on the other side and I should be done tonight. This weekend I'll get the windows and the door in and then I can start moving tools in.:D

Bill Wyko
06-01-2007, 2:09 PM
I just picked up a 12000btu a/c unit from sears. Only 299.00 for that much air was the best deal I could find. It's supposed to be big enough to handle 300 sq ft. and I'm at 240.

Mike Turkley
06-01-2007, 4:51 PM
Wouldn't you need at least a 3 ton unit for Tucson? :D

Mine is an 8000 btu which is the only one of physical size to fit into the small shop window. It is a little under powered during really hot days which It can cool down to 80 degrees.:D However if I start the air early in the morning it will keep it in the upper 70's during the day.

I use the disposable filter that you buy in roll form and cut to size and change it once a year. I don't know An air compressor but it will come in handy blowing out dust from the filter and condenser unit.

MikeT

Skip Spaulding
06-01-2007, 5:49 PM
Bill, my wife just checked out your new shop and told me not to be getting any ideas! I picked up an air filter like yours and use it in my basement shop, sure made a big change in air quality when sanding. Nice Shop!

Bill Wyko
06-01-2007, 7:50 PM
I'm going to have to cut a hole in the wall to fit mine. It needs an opening 27 inches and my window is only 24 inches. That's ok though, I got the right tools for the job.:D

Richard Madison
06-02-2007, 12:19 AM
Bill,
Regardless of material (drywall, OSB, whatever), consider painting walls and ceiling bright white. Used to suggest "ceiling white" but recently discovered (also building new shop), that ordinary "white" is brighter. Wisdom is supposed to come with age, but one thing that comes is need for more light and stronger glasses.

Have 200 amp service to the house, and 100 amp service from there to the shop. Think I already posted some electrical stuff somewhere.

Looking forward to seeing some of those long segments.

Oh yeah- consider using an extra layer or two of the sponge A/C filter material on the front of your A/C unit to help keep the coils clean.