PDA

View Full Version : Most insane bench ever! (Warning: Big Pics)

Matthew Dworman
05-31-2007, 1:41 PM
Nice
I saw a listing on craigslist for a "Woodworking Bench". The post had no pictures and a very limited description of something like: "Big bench with a patternmakers vise". I immediately e-mailed the fellow and asked for pics and a description.
This bench was built in or around 1950 by the seller's father who was a patternmaker. The top is made from 2 planks of oak and measures 120" x 34" x 3" thick. The 3.5" x 5.5" legs are double mortised into the top Roubo style. The legs and stretchers are a mix/match of cherry maple, birch and some other un-knowns. Each dog hole has it's own friction fit dog. The tail vice is a great quick release (1/2 turn and pull) cast iron vise. We had to take the front vise (Emmert K-14) off the bench to get it in my pickup. With myself and 4 other strong friends, this beast of a bench was rediculous to move. Easy estimate on weight - 7-800 pounds not including the vise.
Interesting bench design - part Roubo, part shaker - 100% massive. You can not even get this thing to budge. These are pics from the seller. After I get it all cleaned up and set up in my shop I'll add some more.
Matt
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o52/mdworman/245.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o52/mdworman/244.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o52/mdworman/246.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o52/mdworman/253.jpg

Ken Werner
05-31-2007, 1:50 PM
Matt, crude as I am, I have to ask.....did that leviathan set you back a bit of change? It is a beauty - best of luck with it.
Ken

James Carmichael
05-31-2007, 2:07 PM
Nice find there.

Did you have to recruit the rest of the fire department to help move it:-)

Gary Herrmann
05-31-2007, 2:58 PM
Geez, that thing is huge. Congrats. I don't think I could have even gotten it down the stairs to my shop. Gotta get out of the basement some day...

Randy Klein
05-31-2007, 3:52 PM
I don't see any pictures, I just see an angel cutting a dovetail. Is that supposed to signify how big the bench is...

Dave Anderson NH
05-31-2007, 3:55 PM
Nice score Matt. It must be nice to have the space to put that monster.

Martin Shupe
05-31-2007, 4:46 PM
Nice score! I don't know how much you paid, but I am sure that bench is worth it! I'd love to have it in my shop (not that it would fit).

Matthew Dworman
05-31-2007, 5:19 PM
Matt, crude as I am, I have to ask.....did that leviathan set you back a bit of change? It is a beauty - best of luck with it.
Ken

It was a pretty penny, but less than what the emmert vise alone is worth - He was originally asking $900 for it, but after a week of no response, he lowered the price to $400
I was very surprised that I was first in line for it....
Matthew

Jim Becker
05-31-2007, 5:37 PM
You practically stole it, Matthew...nice!

David Weaver
05-31-2007, 5:41 PM
What a bench - and vise! That's only the same price as one of the small sjobergs benches.

Good find!

Martin Shupe
05-31-2007, 5:57 PM
It was a pretty penny, but less than what the emmert vise alone is worth - He was originally asking $900 for it, but after a week of no response, he lowered the price to $400
I was very surprised that I was first in line for it....
Matthew

$400! You got a heck of a deal. The vise alone is worth that much! I am envious.

Mark Stutz
05-31-2007, 8:20 PM
WOW! For $400, I think you deserve a "YOU SUCK"!:D Congrats on such a score.

Rick Young WY
05-31-2007, 9:46 PM
Wow! What a great find. I wish I could find the same deal. That baby would fit just right in my shop....I would probably sleep on it the first night I had it.

Rick

John Schreiber
06-01-2007, 9:14 AM
part Roubo, part shaker - 100% massive.
The best of all worlds. And an Emert. Wow, I agree with Mark "YOU SUCK." And I wish I were you.

Zahid Naqvi
06-01-2007, 12:26 PM
That's one heck of a deal, most importantly you are lucky enough to have a work space which can house this monster, congrats on both counts.

Charles McKinley
06-03-2007, 7:57 PM
Matthew,

Great deal! There was a simular bench on eaby that only went for $600 something. You bench is WAY nicer. Looking forward to see what comes from it. Was the seller parting with anything else?? Couple of back saws in the pic.

Jeff Raymond
06-04-2007, 6:30 AM
Nice find!

That's proof positive that there is a lot of good stuff out there. Let the other guys to to the bay and HD. Go to grandpa's cellar and you'll find everything you need (and a lot more fun!)

Matthew Dworman
06-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Matthew,

Was the seller parting with anything else?? Couple of back saws in the pic.

Hi Charles,
He sold off his entire shop. Almost sverything was gone before I got there including from what I understand, a rather large collection of planes which all went to 1 buyer. I really wish I got to see them. The back saws go to a couple of nice and gigantic miter boxes. I probably should have asked how much he was aking for them, but I was pretty excited about the bench at the time and was more concerned with figuring out how to get the bench into the bed of my pickup truck.

That's one heck of a deal, most importantly you are lucky enough to have a work space which can house this monster, congrats on both counts.
I really wish I could have gotten this into my basement workshop - but that just would have been a bad idea. A couple of years ago, I formed a co-op shop in Worcester, MA ( www.archangelwoodworks.com (http://www.archangelwoodworks.com)) and we are now in the process of putting together a teaching studio in there as well to start offering some classes. This will be the main instructor's bench for the classroom. I think I'll be doing more work from the CO-OP from now on...:D

Terry Hatfield
06-05-2007, 9:32 PM
Matt,

Very cool find and a major deal to boot!!!! Congrats.

t

Dennis Reardon
06-06-2007, 2:56 AM
This is where I type a hearty "YOU SUCK" right? And furthermore I have an idea for your co-ops interview process for instructors. Hand them a chunk or two of wood lead them to that bench and say "make me something". My bet is one look at that bench and folks will be willing to get darn creative for a chance to keep working on that bench!