PDA

View Full Version : Well I went and did it

Ken LaSota
05-31-2007, 11:29 AM
I broke down and bought the Sorby hollowing tool.(had a 25%off coupon from Rockler on monday and put it to use). Here is my first ever attempt at HF. The opening started at 1 3/4" but after two minutes with the tool I came out the side and the rest is history, The bowl is 6"x 3" high and the opening is 3 1/2" spalted maple. As usual comments welcome. I also have aquestion how do you Hf turners turn your bottom after hollowing?
Thanks Ken

Paul Engle
05-31-2007, 2:43 PM
Ken ,That looks good for a first, my attempt ended in two flat bowls :eek: , I was using my 3/8 bg and ate right thru the middle of it:( . miss read the caliper or somthing or other....Nice job on yours :eek:

Jude Kingery
05-31-2007, 3:22 PM
Hey Ken,

Very nice job!!! With regard to your question, are you referring to the outside bottom or inside? If outside, I turn that first and then reverse chuck it to hollow it. Hope that helps; again very nice piece you've done here, well executed and lovely shape. Jude

Mike Turkley
05-31-2007, 4:12 PM
Very nice Ken and way much better than my first hollow form that survived .:D

I did the same thing on my first one and set it up on the shelf where it then decides to split all the way through.:(

Which Sorby did you get? I have both the hollowmaster and the multi-tip.

MikeT

Bill Wyko
05-31-2007, 4:19 PM
Great job Ken. Was it easy to use? I have the clark but I haven't been able to set it up yet.

Ken LaSota
05-31-2007, 5:57 PM
Mike T. I bought the hollowmaster.may get the other later. Bill W. I won't say easy but it doesn't seem impossible to learn it was my first try, today I made two bowls instead of a HF. Went through the side.
Ken

Bernie Weishapl
05-31-2007, 6:46 PM
Ken that looks mighty fine to me. Keep at'em and you will get it. It is either a lot of measuring or a laser. Keep'em coming.

Bob Hampton
05-31-2007, 7:21 PM
yup agree very nice!
I havent been at it all that long but in bowl shape i know u have to stop and check the wall thickness alot and blow out shavings all the time.
as to your question about how to do the bottom?...I just make a jam chuck out of scrap wrap some masking tape around the cone as to not mark up the mouth of the vessel and hold it with the tailstock. seems to work pretty good for me anyway.

I have a blast doing mine and havent turned a bowl in weeks!
Bob

Neal Addy
05-31-2007, 9:51 PM
Nice bowl, Ken! Don't sweat the "redesign". We've all turned the inside bigger than the outside at one time or another.

As far as finishing the bottom, one method I've had good luck with is to use a set of spigot jaws that I've wrapped with painters tape. The tape keeps the jaws from marring the rim. Close the jaws, wrap them with a couple of layers of tape, and cut the tape along the jaw gaps. Then just expansion chuck the rim of the HF. This doesn't hold well enough for heavy wood removal but it will allow you to (carefully) remove a small tenon and sand the bottom.

Another method is to use a jam chuck. Remove everything but the nub held by the tailstock and then remove the nub by hand.

Jonathon Spafford
06-03-2007, 1:21 AM
Awesome... great first HF! I haven't really tried one yet, but I really want to give it a shot! This on looks super! Great work!