PDA

View Full Version : Anyone catch Craft America?

Brian Penning
05-31-2007, 11:01 AM
I caught some of it on our PBS station here in Montreal. Very interesting to see Maloof and others.
Can't wait for my trip to Calif and see Maloof's tour

Craig D Peltier
05-31-2007, 12:09 PM
I looked on PBS in washington last nite, couldnt find it from 7pm till 4am.

nick brigg
05-31-2007, 12:19 PM
yeah i caught it, not so into the basket stuff, although still great, id never have the patience to do that! of course sam and gary were great! sam looked like he was near tears when giving away a chair to a client.

Brad Townsend
05-31-2007, 12:27 PM
I started watching it and called to my wife. "Not interested" she replied. Twenty minutes later she walked through the room on her way to the kitchen and never made it any further. Two hours later, she was still there watching.

Greg Peterson
05-31-2007, 1:12 PM
Caught it last evening. I enjoyed it. Good show.

Daniel Heine
05-31-2007, 1:17 PM
I watched a couple of hours of it last night, and I found it fascinating. Seeing Sam Maloofs work is a real treat, but also sad to see him in his declining years. Still hard at work tho. I liked all of the segments except the metal sculpture peice. I also really enjoyed watching the lady creating those gorgeous baskets. WOW!!! I'd really like to se a lot more of that kind of TV.

Dan Heine

Hank Knight
05-31-2007, 1:52 PM
I thought it was a wonderful show, the kind of thing PBS should do more of. I enjoyed all the pieces and the ones on Sam Maloof and George Nakashima were fascinating. I wish they had been longer. I am impressed that Nakashima's daughter is carrying on his tradition and has established herself in her own right. Great stuff.

Jim Becker
05-31-2007, 2:59 PM
I am impressed that Nakashima's daughter is carrying on his tradition and has established herself in her own right.

Yes, Mira really did take charge of things (her brother Kevin is also involved in the business, but not significantly as she is) and is doing a lot of design work, too. Folks wondered if things would fly after George's death, and there was a short period of time when things cooled off. But they are rip-roaring under Mira's direction and given the huge escalation in prices of pieces from George's area on the secondary market, there is good demand for new stuff, too. If you ever get in this area, they are open to the public on Saturday afternoons (showroom and the Conoid Gallery) and in conjunction with the James Michener Art Museum, occasionally offer "soup to nuts" tours of the whole facility including a box lunch.

I didn't catch the program...never have time for TV...but heard it was excellent from several folks.

John W. Willis
05-31-2007, 4:01 PM
Caught it and didn't miss a minute! I could have done without the basket parts BUT still admire their craftsmanship.

Did you see George's/ Mira's stock of wood, unbelievable!

Jim Becker
05-31-2007, 4:06 PM
Did you see George's/ Mira's stock of wood, unbelievable!

I've actually seen it in person. Yalza! And...know two of their local sources, too... :D

Rick Anderson
05-31-2007, 6:29 PM
Craig,
It was on KCTS (Seattle) last night.....all 3 segments from 8-11pm. It was great! Re-check their schedule....often times they rebroadcast.
Rick