PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman RAS???

Jay Yoder
05-31-2007, 9:05 AM
Hi all…am currently looking a craftsman Radial arm saw with laser trac…anyone out there had this model or similar? Also please give feedback on quality…I have seen some issues with Craftsman power tools lately! I appreciate your input!!!

I believe it is this one…

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?vertical=TOOL&cat=Bench+Power+Tools&subcat=Radial+Arm+Saws+%26+Accessories&pid=00922010000&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?vertical=TOOL&cat=Bench+Power+Tools&subcat=Radial+Arm+Saws+%26+Accessories&pid=00922010000&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes)

Pat Germain
05-31-2007, 12:38 PM
Jay,

Your post inspires me to ask two questions:

1. Why do want a radial arm saw?
2. Why do you want a Craftsman saw?

I don't mean to slam you here. It's just my take. A radial arm saw is the only tool which actually scares me. I really don't like the idea of pulling a 12" blade, spinning at high speed, towards my body; and just for the sake of making nice crosscuts.

I'll use a chainsaw with no problem but I'd rather not ever use a radial arm saw again. I know people use them all the time with perfect safety. Again, it's just me, but I think you should consider the actual practicality of a RAS. IMO, a sliding mitre saw renders a RAS completely obsolete. I've heard people say they rip with a RAS, but I wouln't try it.

Also, I have a Craftsman table saw and would not recommend these tools. As I've posted recently, Craftsman power tools may be improving of late, but it's still risky. They are more for the casual, occasional user and not a serious woodworker.

FYI, I do use Craftsman hand tools, so it's not an anti-Sears thing.

Ron Blaise
05-31-2007, 12:45 PM
Hi all…am currently looking a craftsman Radial arm saw with laser trac…anyone out there had this model or similar? Also please give feedback on quality…I have seen some issues with Craftsman power tools lately! I appreciate your input!!!

I believe it is this one…

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?vertical=TOOL&cat=Bench+Power+Tools&subcat=Radial+Arm+Saws+%26+Accessories&pid=00922010000&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?vertical=TOOL&cat=Bench+Power+Tools&subcat=Radial+Arm+Saws+%26+Accessories&pid=00922010000&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes)

Craftsman RAS and would not buy it again if I had it to do over. It is better by far (if your hearts set on a RAS) to buy a 60's to early 70's DeWalt RAS in good shape. Just my opinion.

Tom Henderson2
05-31-2007, 1:01 PM
Hi Jay-

If you want to cut 2x4 studs for a carpentry job, this saw will do fine. But if you want to make furniture or anything where fit and finish are important, I'd suggest you look elsewhere.

I have a Craftsman RAS that I've had for 20+ years. I believe that it is comparable to the saw you are thinking about buying.

The consumer-grade RAS aren't as beefy and rigid as the commercial variants, so the motor/blade assy tends to wobble a bit, especially when cutting thicker or harderlumber.

Also, they tend to get out of alignment *very* easily and all of a sudden teh cuts aren't square anymore.

I've never had a kickback problem, but others have.

If you want it for cross-cutting, consider a modern miter saw instead. If you are looking for a general-purpose saw, a table saw would probably be a better choice. But if you really, truly want a RAS look for a heavy-duty commercial version, not a consumer-grade version.

My $0.02

-Tom H. Ventura, CA

Mike Seals
05-31-2007, 1:24 PM
Jay,
You'll find a lot of anti RAS folks here, I don't know why but they are here. I've used mine for mnay years and never had a problem. I'm not much for the lazer track as I would rather line up with the blade, just old habits. As for them being dangerous, driving to work is dangerous if you don't know how to drive. Every tool has some aspect of safety to be concerned with and the RAS is no exception. My set rule is, if any part of my body is within 12 inches of the blade, I'm too close.

Larry Conely
05-31-2007, 8:58 PM
I used my father's radial arm saw for many years. I would never buy a Craftsman, but do like having a radial arm saw. Here in Michigan, Craftsman radial arm saws are readily available on Craig's list for $100-$150. I recently purchased a DeWalt RAS (for a whole lot less than a new Craftsmen) from a member of this forum and absolutley love it.

Larry

Cody Colston
05-31-2007, 9:52 PM
I have a Craftsman RAS that I got in trade for my Craftsman contractor saw when I upgraded to a Griz 1023. I don't use it a lot but I do find it handy at times and I didn't feel like taking out a second mortgage to afford a SCMS.

I use mine strictly for crosscuts when sizing long stock that is too wide for my 10" CMS. It's not reliably square so I cut the stock long and then trim to fit on my table saw with a sled or my Osbourne miter gauge. It's also good at notching out thick stock with a dado blade.

I built a collection box behind it with 6" DC ducting and dust collection is very good. I also don't find it any more dangerous than my other saws. I don't fear any of my tools but I use them all with the respect they demand.

Chris Walls
05-31-2007, 10:37 PM
Jay

I have an older Delta R A S and it is a joy to use. No more a risk than any other power tool when used with care. I have had it for many years and would not be without it. It does so much more than just crosscut well. Half laps are a breeze with it. I have used the Craftsman saws and they are not a match for the DeWalt's or the Delta.
One thing that is important is to get it set up right. They are not hard to set up but it is important to do it right after it has been moved, even if just across the shop. The table must be level and the stops at the right positions. Good luck. Chris

Jay Yoder
06-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks all! I am basically looking to rough cut and mostly for cross dadoes...i have a 12" delta and did not get excited about spending big $$$ for a Delta/dewalt...

Bill White
06-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Way to go Mike. I too have used mine since 1978 with good and SAFE results. IMO it is a point of what you are used to, and how well you understand the workings of the particular machine.
Bill

Pat Germain
06-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Sorry if I sounded "anti-RAS". Jay asked for feedback and input and that's what I was giving. If you like using a RAS, I think that's great. You are using the tools which work best for you.

As for driving to work being dangerous "if you don't know how to drive", well, the real danger there comes from other people who don't know how to drive. In my case, I prefer to not drive when all the drunks are leaving the bars. I also prefer to not use a RAS. It's all just my position. YMMV. :)

Jeff Cybulski
06-01-2007, 8:50 PM
Jay - I have a late 70's Craftsman RAS that I got for $100. I don't think I would not spend $500-700 like some of them are going for - but that's me. I use it for what you want to do - rough cutting and top dado's. I'd stay away from the Craftsman Electronic version that came out in the 80's. Eats batteries and the guide system does not seem to be as stout as other Sears versions.

Jeff

Rob Will
06-02-2007, 7:25 PM
I have not one..... but two Craftsman RAS collecting dust in my shop. Years ago when that was all I had, they saw a fair amount of use. Now that I have more accurate tools, thay rarely get used. I don't guess I'm 100% anti RAS but I have to have a good reason to use one.

If you dont have a good CMS and a stand for it, get that first. JMHO

Rob

Al Killian
06-02-2007, 7:58 PM
I have a early 80's model RAS and have no problems with it. It gets used for ripping, crosscuts and everthing else. If it is well taken care of it will do good things and be very accurate too. Just make sure you get the proper blade for the intended job and you will be fine.