PDA

View Full Version : What is the best sealer under oil varnish?

Brian Groetsch
05-31-2007, 8:53 AM
I have a set of old oak dining chairs that I have stripped and preparred for finish. I plan to use McClosky's Heirloom oil varnish in a satin gloss. In the past I used to use a flat finish varnish as the first coat, but I can't seem to find a flat varnish anywhere. What would be a suitable sealer for my purpose?

Steve Schoene
05-31-2007, 9:46 AM
The best sealer is either the finish itself, or if you are using satin, there is a small advantage in clarity in using gloss for the initial coats with the satin reserved for the final coat. Using flat just adds additional flatting agent which obscures the finish, especially more than a couple of coats are used.

Howard Acheson
05-31-2007, 11:20 AM
Adding on to Steve's responce, just thin the McCloskey's 25-30% with mineral spirits for the first coat. Thin the subsequent coats about 10% for the best flow out.

The first coat of any finish "seals" the wood and you never have compatability problems when you use the finish as the sealer.

Brian Groetsch
05-31-2007, 4:49 PM
Thanks for the advise guys. I'll use the thinned satin varnish for the sealer.

Actually Steve, I never found a flat to obscure the finish when it was top coated with a glossier finish. I felt that the flat kept the between coat sanding to a minimum and provided an excellent bite for the next coat. I never had a clarity problem.

Again,thanks for the help!

Brian

jason lambert
06-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Sometimes particals are added to flat to give it that "flat look" these defuse the light and can cause a hase after several coates. Depend on the amount of layers and brand if this will happen that is why people use the gloss because it is garenteed to be clear and add flat for the last coat.

Jason Roehl
06-01-2007, 9:54 PM
SealCoat would be my choice--blond, de-waxed shellac. Sticks to just about anything, and just about anything sticks to it. Applied properly, it will also dry very quickly, so you can progress to the varnish a short time later. (An hour or less usually, not overnight or next day).

Joe Chritz
06-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Seeing as how you are refinishing these the dewaxed shellac is not bad advice.

Some finishes are really bad for adhesion. I am not familiar with the one you mention but a seal coat of dewaxed shellac, either mixed or something like zinseer will guarantee you don't have an issue.

If adhesion isn't a concern then the finish itself is great. Most finishes are self sealing and sealers and the like are used by commercial shops mostly for ease of sanding and cost.

Good luck

Joe