PDA

View Full Version : Lidded Box

Bernie Weishapl
05-31-2007, 12:22 AM
Here is a lidded box I made this weekend. I used a detail gouge and skew on the outside. I turned out pretty nice. That is until I started hollowing. The wood was punky and soft on the inside. After I got the outside so good then that. I went ahead and finished it for practice. I was going to do the bottom longer but after cutting away all the soft wood this is what I ended up with. I got the idea from Ray Keys video. The finial on the top turned out so nice. Oh well I will try again and hopefully the wood will be better. Finished with Antique Oil and then 3 coats of Lacquer. I will put this one on my shelf.

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-31-2007, 2:02 AM
Evenin' Bernie.

If you want to finish the inside, get some "Wood Hardner" It works well and will allow you to cut the rest away.

Bruce

Steve Schlumpf
05-31-2007, 8:33 AM
Beautiful wood and a great form! I really like the finial and the tight fit of the lid! Nice work Bernie - hope the next one hollows a little easier for you!

Ken LaSota
05-31-2007, 10:52 AM
Nice tight fit Bernie I like the shape and size.
Ken

Pete Jordan
05-31-2007, 10:58 AM
It sure looks nice! What kind of wood is that?

Bernie Weishapl
05-31-2007, 11:16 AM
Thanks everyone. I forgot to add it is spalted maple. It looked so pretty on the outside and finished up nice but the inside was a mess. Bruce I will try some wood hardener and see how it goes.

Tom Sherman
05-31-2007, 4:22 PM
It's a cool box anyway Bernie, I used some spalted maple at Christmas to make a paperclip holder for my wife's boss. The outside came out nice but the inside looked like I hollowed it with my pocket knife. Bless her heart LOML said with paper clips in it noone would ever know it.

Bernie Weishapl
05-31-2007, 6:48 PM
It's a cool box anyway Bernie, I used some spalted maple at Christmas to make a paperclip holder for my wife's boss. The outside came out nice but the inside looked like I hollowed it with my pocket knife. Bless her heart LOML said with paper clips in it noone would ever know it.

Yes Tom and it is like Bill Grumbine always says, "it wants to make bad words come out of your mouth." I am going to try another one with different wood.

Thanks again for the comments.

Bill Wyko
05-31-2007, 7:20 PM
Evenin' Bernie.

If you want to finish the inside, get some "Wood Hardner" It works well and will allow you to cut the rest away.

Bruce
Nice little piece Bernie. Bruce, do you have a name brand for the wood hardener? I have a piece thats a little soft too.

Jason Slutsky
05-31-2007, 7:39 PM
I like it a lot Bernie. The side kinda reminds me of the scales on a snakes belly! Nice wood...hope you can fix the punky wood and finish the inside.

Jason

Corey Hallagan
05-31-2007, 11:20 PM
Great looking piece Bernie. I like that shape and the finial looks great. That spalted maple looks nice and too bad it got gunky on you!

Corey

Jim Sample
06-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Bill

Try Min-wax wood hardneer, it does wonders on soft spalted wood.
Jim Sample:) :)

David Hoefler
06-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Interesting looking box. i have just become interested in turning boxes after a friend of mine loaned me "Turning Boxes with Richard Raffan" Taunton Press. If anyone out there has done box turning I would sure like to see some pictures. If there are already some somewhere in this forum I guess I have not used the right search keywords. :)

As soon as I finish redoing my shop a box will be the first thing I try. It seems the possibilities are endless. I have a big log pile for practice wood.

D -

Skip Spaulding
06-01-2007, 6:13 PM
Great looking box Bernie! I use a lot CA (thin) on soft stuff, has saved me many times.

Bernie Weishapl
06-01-2007, 7:42 PM
Bill

Try Min-wax wood hardneer, it does wonders on soft spalted wood.
Jim Sample:) :)

Thanks Jim. I will see if I can find some around here.

Bernie Weishapl
06-01-2007, 7:44 PM
Interesting looking box. i have just become interested in turning boxes after a friend of mine loaned me "Turning Boxes with Richard Raffan" Taunton Press. If anyone out there has done box turning I would sure like to see some pictures. If there are already some somewhere in this forum I guess I have not used the right search keywords. :)

As soon as I finish redoing my shop a box will be the first thing I try. It seems the possibilities are endless. I have a big log pile for practice wood.

D -

David that is what started me on boxes and now have the DVD by Ray Key. That is where I got the idea for this one. If you want a excellent book with lots of pictures for box idea's, get the book "Turned Boxes 50 designs" by Chris Stott. Excellent book.

David Hoefler
06-02-2007, 3:07 PM
Bernie,

Thanks, I will check it out. :)

David